Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hartke xl series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wedding Dress, Nov 16, 2003.

1. I have the hartke 410 transporter cab. I really like the way it sounds except it can't handle B very well. I was thinking of upgrading to the 410 xl or would this just be a mistake?

Thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I owned and used the XL series for several years. My opinion, it won't handle your B much better - a tiny tad better, but not worth the expense or effort.

3. What cab do you suggest. I like a deep twangy sound.

4. Have you considered adding a 1x15 or 1x18 to your 4x10 cabinet? Doing this may be cheaper, and a 15inch speaker should really help out with Low b clarity.

5. How many watts are you feeding to the Transporter cabinet?

6. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I used a 410 BXL and I thought it handled the low "B" just fine. It has a Frequency range of 30hz to 5khz which covers the low "B". The TP's range is 40hz to 4khz. The low "b" range is just under 31hz so I would say that a XL series cab would be worth it IMO.

7. jjs

jjs

Jan 26, 2003
    czech republic
    i owned hartke 8x10 xl - i sold it because of tiny sound and bad construction. now i am happy with svt 810e. both cabs (i think) have the same frequency range, but to my ears ampeg handle low b better than hartke, maybye its the result of aluminium speakers. try to compare "paper" x "alu"

8. 410 BXL is one of my all-time favorite cabinets. With a touch of eq, the 'aluminum' sound is unique and sexy.

:bassist:

9. I have a hartke 3500. I wanted the xl because I like how the aluminum cones sound. I tried the vx series and they sucked hard.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I just sold my 115XL. I liked it in combination with my MusicMan HD-210, but I didn't like it all by itself. It just seemed a tad mushy to me. Didn't have the ass kicking sound that I was looking for.

11. As always..sound is very subjective.

I used to own a pair of Hartke XL4.5 cabs They sounded awesome. I play 5 string Bass in a pretty loud rock Band. The XL cabs never had a problem recreating all of the tone and the Low B all at monster volume. The only reason I changed the cabs was to reduce the size of the rig from two 4x10 cabs to a single 6x10 SWR cab.

In My experience the Transporter range just did not compare to the XL range.

The biggest thing about reproducing the low end is having enough available Power from the amp to amplify the lower notes through the cabs. This can not be emphasized enough...power is your best buddy...Most cabs come to life when driven hard..Dont be scared about driving a 400w cab with an 600w head.

You will not be able to hear any major difference with any cab at low 'music shop' levels. The only test is a full on rehearsal at war volume.

Dave