Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hartke XL vs VX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funky_bass_guy, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Hey guys :hyper:
    I am looking at buying my first big rig, upgrading from my 20 watt combo to hopefully a 4x10. I have been looking at the Hartke cabinets in the VX and XL ranges. There seems to be a large price gap between the VX and XL, is this due to the aluminium speakers of the XL or is the VX not as well built? I am on a bit of a budget but I would rather be saving for a bit longer to get something reliable, as I cant afford to replace it 3 years down the line. Also what would you suggest amp wise to go with it? I play a mixture of rock and funk, think chili peppers early days and do quite a bit of slap. I want a fairly high-quality sound though, it must not go into sonic mush when I turn it up, as I plan to gig with this! I have heard the Hartke 3500 amp is good, but some people have said it is a bit punchy, I am a little cautious of these comments as I want something that sounds good and makes my bass sound good, rather than a in your face bad quality sound. My bass teacher is bringing his Hartke 4x10 XL and 3500 round in a few weeks so I will try that out and see what I think. Feel free to suggests any other makes of cabinets or amps and my bass is a DeArmond Pilot Pro (2 soapbar pickups) if that helps.

Many thanks
    Chris

2. I have no personal experiences with the VX series, but they don´t seem to be very much appreciated. And opinions are divided on XL series too; not everybody likes the "Hartke sound". Definitely try before you buy.

Personally I´d check out Ashdown, the MAG series is good bang for the pound IMHO.

3. I have tryed the MAG range at low volume and they seemed pretty good, I have heard that they loose clarity when turned up though? :confused:

Chris

4. I've been using a 4-10 Hartke Transporter Series, which I beleive is thier less expensive series for about 15 years now and have never had one complaint.... well I did have a bar owner ask me to please turn it down because I was rattling the bottles behind the bar. Low volume or high volume it still sounds sweet to me.

I'm sure there is better out there but the differance in quality of sound can't be that much.

You will definatly want to put a foam pad between your cab and your amp. I had to put my amp in the shop twice because it was shaking it to peices. The last time in the Tech covered the whole board with hot glue. It's been 14 years now with no problems.

5. Aah right thanks I will try that, I have read reviews everywhere of people having the soldering come loose due to vibration etc.

6. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    My old rig was hartke cab and amp (not sure which amp). Extremely realiable and never had any issues with volume. If you play funk and really want to get that punch when you pop the aluminum cones add to that in my HO. I would go with the Hartke Cab is will last you a very long time. **** mine last too long and everything happened to it.

As for an Amp go for what sounds and suits your needs the best. I currently don't play in loud loud situations and if so I just use the DI out on my Hartke combo amp.

But I rely more on my bass for the sound I want than the amp.

Matt

7. Well my bass sounds very nice DId but the lil 10 inch fart box I have does it no justice. I was skimming through some posts here and some people said, in relation to a yamaha amp, that 500 watts was not enough, they would rather 1,200. My bass teacher has a 350 watt hartke rig and he reckons its all you need and I have to say I agree, why would you need anymore power?

8. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey I got my Hartke 410xl of ebay for 200 bucks. it was pretty used but it sounded pretty good. I blew one of the speakers within the first week I had it. I was pretty pissed bu I called Hartke and even though it was out of warranty they replaced the speaker for free. there customer service alone was really impressive prompt responses and once i mailed of the speaker it was back to me within a week. Now i have had this cab now for about 4 years and not a hitch it's got a lot of midrange & high twang due to the aluminum cones only thing i wish it had was more bottom end but that is why i added an ampeg BXT115 helped outt eh sound alot.

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Honestly, if you need more than 3-400 watts just go through the PA. I had a head that was 350w and it was never turned up over 3 or 4. I think it was the Hartke 3500. That was back when I played tons of rock (2 guitar, vocals, loud drums).

10. My Hartke amp is only 200 watts and anything over 6 would require ear protection.

No point in trying to pull a lawnmower trailer with a mac truck....so to speach. Nice thing about the Hartke 350 head is you can bi-amp them if you choose. Split your power and freqs between two cabs.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I keep my 4.5xl at home because;
    1. It is too heavy
    2. Its sounds good for my home studio and I'm keepin' my best sound for me.
    3. I can keep an eye on it.

12. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I like the VX sound much better than the XL or TP sound. Check my sig for more details.

13. That's not the 350w, thats the 500 & 700.
    My Hartke 3500 gets pummeled by a 60w TSL guitar amp at our practises! Might be because its only running at 240w through one quad, but i'm yet to try 2 quads.

14. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like you need EQing. That wattage should be plenty.

15. My mistake... it's been a while since I payed much attention to such things. When you have used the same peice of equipment for 15 years you almost forget everything about it except where the volume knob is and where the speaker plugs in :confused:
    But, yeh! if a 60watt amp is cleaning your clock and your pushing 350 or even half that you have problems other than power.

I agree with Lefty Punk Bass... Sounds like an EQ thing.

16. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    I have a 4x10XL. I like the sound very much, but it is very heavy! The cabinet is built very well, but I hate packing it if I don't have to.

Tim

17. I am no sound tech... but I can through out an idea.

Maybe you are pushing your extreme low end so hard that that is all your speakers are putting out. Where ther super low end in nessasary to feel the power it is also harder for your ears to hear.

zero out your amp setting and see if your volume comes back if it does rethink your setting.

Does that make sence?

18. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    And try cutting things instead of boosting.

For example, if you want low end, cut the mids instead of boosting the low. This should get you better volume.

19. Ok, I'll try that at our next practise. Only thing that was boosted was the mids.