Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Aug 9, 2005.

1. how come they've 'discontinued' the HA3500....and by that i mean the rack mountable version...now they're like [​IMG]

also..does anyone know if you can remove these heads from the case and place them in a standard rack case?
  2. They discontinued the rackable ones because they came out with the newer version like the picture you showed.
  3. yeah, im definately looking at getting a new rig, hartke in particular....i want a rackmount ha3500 (cos i will be getting a rackmount pod later on) and either a 4.5xl or a 410xl
  4. Heath buy Joe's rig, He needs the dosh to spend on his girls.
    Joe stop hittin on all the girls, and practice bass more.

That is all. :mad:

Actually, my best guess would be to say that for those who can afford a Hartke would most likely fall into the category of those who cannot afford to go rackmounts. Or that most Hartke owners probably don't rackmount since all they would be running is just the head into a cab, and this new design looks to be be a tank.
  5. throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    isn't the chassis in the head version, rackable??

i.e. pull it out and install in a rack..
  6. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I actually played trough a 3500 and a 410 xl. Didn't get up to any ear bleeding levels but for the price it's not bad.

I know hartke stuff has had it's fair share good stuff and bad stuff, but IMO if you only have about a grand or so to spend on a rig be my quest.

The only other brands I can think of that would come close if not a little bit higher would be drbass and avatar. I prefer dr bass cabs more because, the BL series has 2 speakon inputs on the back panel, weight, and the tolex+spray stuff Marc puts on his cabs.

You can check em out here>>>>avatar and here>>>>>Dr.Bass
  7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Look hard at the 4.5xl over the 410xl. The 410 is a mid only machine unless liberal doses of EQ are applied. If you are looking to buy a used 3500 also look for the old MOSFET 3500 version. I used one of those for years with a 410xl (wish I'd snagged a 4.5 , oh well) and it would get up to painfull levels. Punchy as all get out.
  8. well to be honest, i prefer the hartke over most amps ive tried (dr bass and avatar aint available over here)....the hartke heads are perfect for me, tube and solid state pre's, 10 band eq...i need versatility to go from funk to jazz to blues from night to night....and although nemesis is a good contender, i think it may be a little too "hi-fi"...and throbgod13 i dunno, thats what im asking.....i tried a ha3500 with the 4.5 the other day with a mexi jazz (perfect combination :p ) and it sounded great

but the hartke combination sounded pretty damn sweet, i mean, it was pretty flat, the preamp combinations sounded nice, eq would take a little sitting down to get spot on, and the 4.5xl sounded really punchy, deep and defined..loud enough for me anyway..i mean, im giggin with 100w through a 15" at the moment...im lookin to get my new amp in about 3 months time..cant wait :hyper:

oh, and the main reason i want the 'old school' rack mountable version is because i want a line6 rackmount pod next year, i just assumed it'll be better to have them both in the same rack rather than mix n match.....got it all figured out my purchases :D ...hartke ha3500, 4.5 or 410xl, fender mexi jazz and a line6 pod ......mmmmmm, should be tasty...like a big stick of buttah
  9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Hartke gear seems very underrated on TB for some reason. I suppose people must have their reasons if they've had bad experiences with them, or don't like the sound...

I've used my Hartke rig in all sorts of situations with three different bands now and it's been reliable, good to use and sounds just great. A lot of people (musos/soundmen) have made favourable comments about the onstage sound and also when I used the pre-amp out as a DI for recording.

I use a HA5000 head with 115xl and 2.5xl cabs (and sometimes a 210xl as well). I also have a 3000 head as a spare that I also use with just the 2.5xl for snall venues. I think a 3500 with a 4.5xl would be a great setup for small to medium size gigs. Larger gigs you'll probably end up going though the PA in any case. Recommended.
  10. yeah, i have a generic 15" cab which i may add with the 4.5 if i need it, but i think i may add a 210 or 2.5xl eventually..

bassybill, what type of music have you used yours with, cos im in a blues band, jazz and a funk band and eventually i will be travelling more into soul.....i notice that tommy shannons been using hartke for years
  11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Are Ashton cabs any good?
  12. yeah, they're pretty good in my books, just a standard 15 and 410..custom celestions...just big n rather heavey..cheap too
  13. Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Hartke stuff isn't that bad at all. Yeah, people look down on that stuff.
    My HA5000 (500w @ 4ohm) fills any bar/mid size venue, and when it gets bigger you'll get a P.A anyway.
    I use a Bag End (old) 2x10 (400w @ 4ohm) with it and it has the whole frequency range covered in this tiny rig.
    I have used Hartke speakers, but I haven't found them to hold my sound. Maybe I should try the 4.5XL once, but the 410XL didn't do it for me.
    Anyway, I'm happy with my Bag End stuff, and actually all I want now is another set of this, just in case :D
  14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Heath The Great...

I play with two main bands and occasionally with others, so my rig has been used for a reasonably wide range of styles and situations.

Expresso Bongo (check link in sig) Soul, Rock/Pop and Funk/Disco stuff, including jazz funk like Crusaders, etc. Mainly medium size gigs, 100-500 people. Sounds like your bag.

Tom Martin Band - smaller combo playing Tom's original stuff, unusual line-up (acoustic guitar/vocals, sax, latin percussion and yours truly). Tom's stuff has a lot of influences but especially Celtic stuff, blues and soul . Very Latin influence from the percussionist. I play almost exclusively fretless in this lineup. Small/medium gigs. If you want to PM your postal address to me, I'll mail you our latest CD. It would be nice to get somebody listening to us "down under".

Did some gigs last year with a local big band (25 piece) called the Yams. These are like an expanded version of the Bongo band and we played some biggish venues, including a big outdoor festival. Rig was used for onstage sound, obviously PA for out front! Sound engineer on this one was particularly complimentary about my sound.

Various combinations of Hartke gear used on these gigs, such as...

Small gigs - 3000 head with 2.5xl
    Medium gigs - 5000 head with 2.5xl and 115xl
    Bigger gigs - 5000 head with 115xl, 210xl and 2.5xl

I haven't tried it yet, but the possibility of using the 5000 into the 115xl and 210xl with a line out to the 3000 through the 2.5xl has occurred to me! I can't ever see me needing to do this in a gigging situation though :(

Like I said, the stuff has been reliable, very "useable" and sounds killer! I really don't think you can go wrong with your intended setup. Check out some online reviews of Hartke gear (for example, at Music123.com or Harmony Central :eek: ) and you'll see lots of very positive stuff from happy customers.
  15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    It sure looks like the 3500 head is the same rackable chassis but in a large wooden box. First thing I would do is lose the box and rack that head. I used a 3500 for a bit and I think if it is well treated, that it is a great head. The DI on mine was decent. The EQ was flexible and the overall clean sound of the amp worked fine for me. Mine was one of the older MOSFET amps and was absolutely mint. Maybe a small xcratch on the top from when it was racked. I had it in the GFS here and at the 'pit, finally it went on EBay for $275 shipped ... not a lot of dough for a decent head.

Interstingly it was purchased by someone working for Bass Northwest. Not sure if they were doing a resale thing or if it was an employee looking for another head.

I only sold it as I was using a real inefficient cab with it and I really needed more power than it could deliver into 8 ohms. The one thing with the 3500/ 5000 / 7000 heads and I think the reason that they get a bad rap is that they are not exactly over-built. The chassis is a little light weight and the front panel controls are kind of hanging out there and are exposed. If you rack the head, then that will stiffen the whole thing up and also protect the front panel controls. I fabbed' a set of rear rail mounts for the head and supported it front and rear which was probably overkill but then when it comes to protecting my gear, overkill is just dead enough in my book...

I'm not high on the Hartke cabs though. They sound kind of 'tinky' to me. My taste runs to something warmer like the BE D10D-X noted above. (I love that cab ...)

I recently moved back to a head from my rack setup. I thought about the Hartke, along with Eden but ended up with GK. If it is an option in Oz, you should audition a GK before taking the Hartke plunge. A very different approach to EQ and no tube, but for an SS amp, the GK is actually pretty warm feeling. Again, a head meant to live in a rack IMO.
  16. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I can concur that my ancient (it's a MOSFET one, I didn't know they changed over the years) 3500 + 410XL rig is pretty loud and punchy. For awhile I was getting tired of its sound, but I've come around lately and I don't mind it so much again.

Never had any problems with the head, though at one point early on, the cab had this godawful resonating loud farting noise going on. But a few wood screws to hold an internal bracing/chamber board in place and not vibrate against the outer cab shell did the trick.
  17. ive given GK a go, nice, but not as nice as the hartke IMO...the thing thats really selling the hartke to me is the Tube and SS preamp stages and the 10 band eq once i get them all worked out for my jazz and blues, got the funk tone rather easily in store it should be awesome
  18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    ummm... I didn't find the tube & SS pre's to be all that effective. It seemed to me that the tube side came with an automatic smiley EQ built in, so I had to use the EQ to get rid of that. I ended up using the SS side for the most part.

I do like it clean, clean, clean though... from a tonality perspective I prefer the GK. If I found a decent deal on a 3500, I might snag it as a head for my drummer's practice area. It's still a workhorse amp.