Hartle Kickback

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trib, May 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Trib

Trib

May 8, 2018
    Gentlemen/Ladies,
    Was looking at a Hartke 15" kickback. Don't know much about the brand. Any insight/caveats?
    Thank you in advance.
    Trib

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!

Hey what's your budget?
    What kind of stuff do you play?
    Roughly where are you geographically? (Answers for Paris or Prague will be different from answers for Kansas.)
    What will you be doing with the amp? Gigs? Jams? Home practice?

A little more info will help us help you.

Hartke has been around for quite a while. They have a pretty good reputation.

But guys like @JimmyM or @Linnin (;)) might possibly have "other suggestions" for combos you may like if you give us some more details about the sound you are after.

It's a great time to be a bass player. Lots of great affordable option out there.

3. Trib

Trib

May 8, 2018
    Two Fingers,
    Thank you for the quick response.
    My budget: Money's always tight, Columbus was wrong, the world is flat. But if I could get it at a decent price....
    Geography: NE US
    Purpose: Home practice, jamming with the old coots; Rock, Country, Blues.

I'm primarily looking for the reputation of the brand. The quality of manufacture. Would hate to pull the trigger on one and have it poopie the bed in six months.

I like the design of the "Kickback", the fact that she can either be used upright, or leaned back.

two fingers likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Gotcha.

Yeah, they have had a fine reputation in the past. I'm not aware of any issues since they became a part of Samson Technologies, but others may have more info on that.

If you can live without the kickback feature, the Fender Rumble series has become nothing short of legendary around here lately. You can save a hundred bucks as well for the same weight. And, supposedly, they get ridiculously loud. I'm simply throwing you another option to look at that seems to have kicked up some dust here lately. They have a huge fan base here. I have not personally played through one.
    Fender Rumble 200 1x15" 200-Watt Bass Combo

Best of luck with your amp search either way.

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I had a KB15 for a short period of time and was just thinking how great of an amp it was. The only reason for me selling it was to go to a modular head/cab setup.

Though, I agree in that the Rumble 200 gets a ton of love around here - and from what I've heard deservedly so... It would be worth a look for a light weight very usable combo.

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    @Trib welcome to Talkbass!
    Hartke has been in the industry for decades, and they have a loyal following here on TB. Use the search function and you will find a ton of threads about their equipment. Note that owners indicate a big improvement in sound between the old kickback model versus the one's being sold today.
    Jack Bruce was an endorser, and Victor Wooten still uses their stuff, so it's not like some fly-by-night manufacturer.
    The Hartke Story | Samson Technologies

If money is really tight, keep an eye on the used market for Peavey combos as well.

7. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I have been using a Hartke HD150 for a few years. Nice sound, very versatile and travels well-not too heavy. It lives in the back seat of my pickup! I especially like the brightness of the metal coned speaker when needed. Has been reliable too. If you get an opportunity I'd try to play that and the Fender Rumble...YMMV! Either should do the job quite nicely for you.

Linnin likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
  9. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    I've played the 12 for practice for 10 years and occasional gigs when I don't remember to bring my normal rigs. Works fine. Not much color.

10. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    I own the older kickback 15 and a/b'd it to the new model.

If you like very fast transients (like I do) you'll like them. You get a respond as soon as you hit the string. Perfect for (but not limited to) percussive style playing. The newer one is louder and a little lighter. You would be ok with the first generation unless your band is loud. For very loud gigs, I'd look for something more powerful than either generation. Good luck.

Edit: from my experience when is in stand up position (not tilted back) there's more low end and it is louder but still not so loud for most rock gigs. Didn't try the newer one in a live setting.

11. I have had a Kickback 15 120w for 18 years, use it for the small bar gigs and as backline for a weekly jam night. It's been a reliable workhorse. Other bass players have bought one after being impressed using it at the jam night.

12. I bought my son the Hydrive 115c for Christmas last year and that thing kicks out the jams. Tone is better than "good enough" and it has a pretty good EQ for shaping and a decent OD. I got his for $300 on Craigslist. Might wanna look out for that?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021