Harvard invited Ali G to give commencement speech!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Feb 1, 2005.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...according to MSN Harvard invited Sasha Baron Cohen, the creator and actor behind character Ali G to give the 2004 graduation commencement speech in character. Turns out he's a Cambridge grad himself.

Anyone know if he took them up on it? That woulda been one fun graduation.

This section is from an MSN article titled "The 10 Funniest Folks on TV"

(mods - I don't think this breaks our copyright rules because it's a section of a larger article, not the whole article)
    I've seen lots of clips from Ali G's original british show (such as Ali and the FB, AYE!; The protest against building the theater; Ali in Ireland; etc...) but reading this makes me wish I had HBO.

brad cook
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just did a search. Apparently he DID do it.

Barring the crassness, I think he's hilarious although I'm sure many do not. I'm sure there were some very POed old alumni and school leaders.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that this is probably old news for anyone that has HBO. Oh well..

brad cook
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    We have HBO, but I haven't seen it on local HBO... However, the local music channel has "Tha Ali G show" :smug:
  4. I prefer Borat to Ali G.

Man, I remember when Ali G first started on a little five minute slot on 'The 11 O' Clock Show'.

Ricky Gervais of 'The Office' sort-of got his big break there too.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know if you clicked on the MSN link but Gervais is number 2 on their list.

brad cook
  6. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I think my favorite episode was when Bruno interviewed the collegiate wrestlers that were camping on the beach for spring break. He had them doing all kinds of stuff for the camera. The best was at the end when he signed off as reporting for a gay t.v. station. Those guys lost their minds! It was funny as hell!
  7. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    sasha baron cohen went to habs!
  8. On a slightly nostalgic note: I remember Rickbass used to like the Ali G show. :)

Strange how something will make you think of someone.

9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Reminds me of the clip I saw (I think from his British show) where he was dressed up as the gay guy (is that bruno I guess?) and interviewing some nazi skinheads. Dude has stones, that's for sure.

brad cook
  10. Hah, Larry David got number one.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is so great.