1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Harvey Brooks plays "Wine" live with The Electric Flag (1967)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Feb 18, 2016.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Harvey is best-known as Bob Dylan's bassist, but he is a monster when it comes to blues-rock. The guy can walk like nobody's business. Here is cool footage of him live in 1967.

47th Street, LowNloud1 and JimK like this.
  2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...did not know Brooks was Dylan's bassist.
    I know Brooks from Electric Flag, The Doors (The Soft Parade), & Bitches Brew…among others.

A.K. likes this.
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yep...that's from Monterey Pop.
    Buddy Miles on cans. Cool band!

A.K. likes this.
  4. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    He's so awesome. A hero to me for sure. I read recently that he now lives in Israel.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Before I even played bass I had Super Session at thirteen, his playing was ingrained from then on.

A.K., 47th Street and JimK like this.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Harvey was also a part of Kal David's band The Fabulous Rhinestones in the 70's. Those guys were super cool... I saw them ecery time they came through the Shaboo back in Connecticut. Fantastic live band. I tracked HB down several years ago and convinced him burn the two TFR lp's to cd for me. Super nice guy and really suprised that someone remembered.

Back in The dudePit days, Steve barr managed to talk him into doing a bass players hang. That might just r been the straw that moved him to Israel if that is where he is now :)

Harvey had such a lovely understated style for funk. Reminds me of Conrad Lozano from Los Lobos or vice versa in many ways... Great payer and a really nice guy.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    47th Street likes this.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I always loved the Fabulous Rhinestones, my vinyl on their two records are pretty worn out and the import CDs too much for now. Great stuff! I do have some fairly recent stuff from the 90's with Harvey on bass on albums by Jimmy Vivino and Al Kooper.

8. Velofixer

Velofixer

Jan 6, 2016
    One of the first records where the bass part got my attention was the first Electric Flag album. Look on youtube for Harvey's "A view from the bottom" interview clips.

A.K. likes this.
  9. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Lovely illustration of what you can do with a pick in a blues setting.

A.K. likes this.
  10. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung They’s only two things that money can’t buy... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Thank you for kicking over the first of the dominoes!
    I haven't listened to The Rhinestones in several years...despite having at least 3 of their albums out in the stacks...
    My friend Paul and I would hitchhike down to Frivolous Sal's Last Chance Saloon in Poughkeepsie to see them, and sit there nursing a beer for 2 or 3 hours with our jaws on the table! They even let us help them load out once or twice! I remember them very fondly!
    I'm going to transfer this thought over to a thread called "Great Lost Bands"...having to do with bands that deserved more respect...
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

11. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Somewhere I have a Fabulous Thunderbirds CD from around 2000 with Harvey holding it down. ...an early influence on me for sure. He's gotten some recent FB recognition for his work on Super Sessions back when.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Legend has it that Kal David turned down the Chicago - yah, that Chicago - gig in favor of voice overs for McDonalds... lord knows of it's true or not... If so, Mickie D's must have been paying a ton... That guy has a fabulous voice... And a white firebird... The love guitar ;-). Man it's been ages.

47th Street likes this.
  13. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    Harvey has a wonderful series of videos on youtube.
    Harvey Brooks

47th Street likes this.