Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Harvie Swartz

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by pedro, Jun 1, 2004.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Has anybody studied with Harvie? I know he teaches at Manhattan School of Music but I assume he also teaches privately. Anyway, I'm curious what he's like as a teacher.

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I came in to Manhattan School of Music once for a few days as a Bassist for the student ensembles. I guess Harvie didn't want to play bass himself for these, so somehow I of all people got a call to come in (19 years old no less)....anyway, he was a very nice guy, great to get along with, and very serious and disciplined - a true pro. And he never once made me feel like I was below him or he was above. He was just the boss, and helping me out when needed.

That's all I can say - I didn't take any private lessons! Hope this helps at all........

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks Mingus. Just curious where you ended up and why?

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Mingus, you there?

5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC

yeah.......What do you mean by "where I ended up?" :ninja:

6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Well I'm curious where you ended up going to school or where you ended up playing. It seems clear you didn't end up studying with Harvie and I'm making a wild ass guess that you didn't attend MSM.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I studied privately with Harvie (now Harvie S). Great teacher. Very focused on fundamentals of tone and time as opposed to cool riffs. He's also a terrific pianist. I plan on getting back to some more lessons with him.

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Its my understanding that Harvie is really into latin music.

9. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Yeah, his last couple of albums are actually terrific. I also just heard him with Mike Stern in a more straight ahead trio.