Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has A Famous Bassist Ever Played Your Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Heath, you are not included. :p

I've always wanted to hear what my basses would sound like in the hands of some of the players I look up to. Have any of your basses ever been played by a pro you admire?

2. I was going to have Les sign and play my bass when I went to see him with c2b3, but I figured

a.There was a good chance I wasn't going to meet him(but I did in the long run)
    b.I didn't want to rick having my bass stolen
    c.I didn't want to bring it to the concert with me

I did however have him sign my ticket stub, and thanked him for inspiring my to play bass, and listen to cool music.

3. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    yes

4. No one who is 'famous' (in the eyes of the general music appreciating public) has ever played a Pedulla.

I don't give a rip, it is the best bass for me.

Oh - My Tune Zi series 6 string? Scott Ambush played one (not my exact bass of course) when he toured with Spyro Gyra around 1989.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think you misunderstood my thread. I meant has a pro player ever picked up your personal bass and given it a whirl, like at an autograph signing or during a lesson, etc.

And FWIW there has been some pretty famous (in the bass world) Pedulla owners, like Gene Simmons and Will Lee.

6. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    Victor Wooten played my Warwick thumb to demonstrate one of his songs once......and yes he was still amazing! :)

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    No one except my friends and me have played my basses.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm usually the only one who is allowed to touch my basses.

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Why isn't Heath included?

10. Steve Harris played my bass.
    Yeah, he was signing it, then he decided to give it a whirl.
    then... I woke up.

carsonchilders likes this.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Have you ever read any of his posts? 1 in 2 says either what kind of bass he has or who used to own it.

I think we've all heard enough on the pro who played his bass :p

12. My Tyler bass (James, not Bryan R.) was played by Mark Browne with Melissa Etheridge's band at Woodstock 94. I wasn't there though.

13. Was it a BB Limited? I saw that picture. God damn amazing.

14. Andy Will

Andy Will

Apr 11, 2003
    London, England
    No, I saw that picture too. But I think only I have a photo of him playing my Neck-thru 4 string ;)

15. Post it up! I met victor and he was the most genuine bassist i've ever met.

16. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I was down in Nashville for a session last winter & Willie Weeks wound up joining my band for dinner. We were talking about basses and he mentioned that he had been playing some upright. I told him about my Clevinger EUB, so after dinner we went out to the parking lot & out it came. He seemed to like it. :D

Willie is a really nice guy. It was an honor to meet him. :cool:

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Niktus from FFF (a famous french band back in the 90s) once played a whole show on my bass because his had electronics issues.

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I hope he at least bought you a drink for that! :D

19. Mr. Abraham Laboriel has played my Ebony top Fodera bass.
    I was translated his clinic in Korea so we are became a good friend. Not only friend, but he is my mentor of bass playing for a long time, you know..
    But unfortunately I don't have amp at that time.
    We were in hotel lobby. :p
    I had him sign backside of head also..

20. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Bobby Kimball, lead vocalist for Toto, once passed gas while sitting on my old Trace Elliot speaker cab. Okay, I know that technically isn't what we're looking for here, but it's the best anecdote I've got... :rollno: