1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has a Luthier ever lied to you ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 22, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Has a Luthier ever lied to you ? For example you paid $75 to have graphite reinforcments put into the neck of a custom bass you were having built and you learn that there they were never put in and you paid for them ?

2. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I've never had the opportunity to order from a luthier, but I would be pissed if something like that happened.

3. i hate it when people lie and scumbag you for your money, that luthier doesnt deserve the name luthier, plus he should be punched in the ba**s for that...

4. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    I've never had the desire for a custom made bass, so never spoke to a luthier. Been quite happy with Musician's Friend Fender & the Casady basses I've bought. My Musicman Ray is nice, but just not my cup of tea.

5. You trying to put a message across? Don't bother beating around the bush.

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Major Metal's is mysterious like that, and he does it with a smile on his face.

Now I have spoken to a couple of luthiers (well, maybe only one, but it counts!), and I don't think I really presented my questions in a way that would lead them to lie. So I'll say no, but I'm really stretching it.

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    To be honest, that's also what I'm afraid of. :eyebrow:

8. Yep, I asked a technician how much it would cost to install two J pickups in my bass. He told me 50 bucks. I came back a week later and he charged me 60. The sad part is that 5 months later I added a series/parallel mod myself and realized I wasted 60 bucks.

9. well that's impossible to know unless you cut the neck. I'll cut his neck if he does it.
    How can you know? I'll have a bass done by a luthier and I've asked him for graphite reinforcement...

10. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    if you do experience one that lied, I have a couple graphite reinforced necks hanging on my "wall of shame" (necks I made a mistake on while making them, so they are reminders never to do 'that' again!) that I'd be more than happy to loan you for any kind of face-face 'discussion' you may have with them

just return it with the stains removed ... I don't care about the dents :D

actually, isn't life about integrity and you word meaning something? if your yes is not longer yes and your words no longer filled with truth ... what do you have, and what value is there to your utterances?

I'm always disturbed to see these kinds of posts, namely because one bad apple ruins it for the hundreds of other small-shop builders who do run an honest and above reproach operation. after a couple of horror stories, who's going to trust some guy to build them a bass unless he's right in their back yard?

all the best,

R

11. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Does his brother rebuild automatic transmissions?

12. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    and just a follow-up to note that sometimes things go astry when working with exotic woods ... but if/when they do, that's what e-mail and my phone is for - so I can get ahold of my cllient and discuss the event, and then together make an agreed upon decision on how to proceed.

sometimes this will be resolved with no action needed (a 2-piece vs 3-piece body) because it has no impact on the total picture.

sometimes it means finding a new piece (the Buckeye burl top shattered when thickness sanding it) and re-working some of the construction

... and sometimes it means eating a little humble pie (like losing a note from a phone call where you worked out a revised control configuration) ... I get to make such a call tomorrow (I lost my note in the shop when I cleaned up, and the garbage man is l-o-n-g gone. instead of guessing, I'm going to make that call so that I know what I do will be right and what my client wants)

all the best,

R

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I ordered an EUB from Steve Wishnevsky, and explicitly (both on the phone and in emails) asked that the design be as similar to an URB as possible in regards to it being bowable, the neck angle being right, and having a hollow body with an adjustable bridge.

What I got instead was a POS with a gigantic telephone pole neck that was angled parallel against the body like you might find on a NS EUB, except the extended body wings made so that you couldn't bow it at all. What a complete waste of money. Sadly, as I was young and knew jack crap about ordering a custom instrument let alone an EUB, I tried to let it slide and gave it a go rather than return it.

Funny thing though, I got on this site about a year or so later and typed in Wishbass in the advanced search.........:bag:

14. richnota

richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Rick Turner said my Ren would be the last bass I'd buy.

Then Rob Allen told me the Deep 5 would end my GAS.

And tehn Joe Veillette said my Mark IV would eliminate my need for basses.

Then...(ok Im lying. they really didnt)

piezopossetrio2.jpg

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One time a luthier told me the first Z-28's came with a 327 under the hood. Everybody knows they were 302's.

16. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    One time a luthier told me that Darth Vader was my father. It's got to be a lie - that's IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

17. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Good. At least now we are being clear and unmysterious about what happened that's causing us to write. Oh and our expectations are entirely reasonable (Of course, everybody knows they were 302s...). ;)

18. Speaking of Rob Allen, once I sent him some of my band's tunes and he said they were good. Liar!!!!!!! Ha!

I ordered my Cirrus 4 with a Kahler....they didn't really lie to me, but they screwed up SEVERAL options. I wanted quartersawn maple for the neck and got flatsawn, finished neck and got oiled, navy blue fin and got peacock blue, and several other thingies. I wasn't charged for these upgrades and would have sent it back if the bass didn't play so nicely.

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Lied? Well, it depends on how you define "lie". If a luthier says that the new bass will be done by, say, October; and then it's actually done in November - has he lied? Or, is that more like saying "tomorrow the weather will be nice"?

As for the graphite neck content, it can be checked without opening up the neck: at least here in Norway, on the smaller airports you can hang around with the security dude who looks at your luggage through the x-ray machine. My bass looks really cool and colorful on that screen. I imagine that graphite bars would show up clearly. Once I was asked about what the thick metal bar inside the neck of my bass was.... I had to explain the purpose of the truss-rod to the otherwise rather attractive female security guard.....

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

X Ray.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021