1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has a Nail ever pierced your skin ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 21, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Has a Nail ever pierced your skin ? I have been nailed twice. Once a nail went into my palm , I wasent able to close my hand for days after it. Another time I was out back wearing shorts and someone knocked over a piece of wood and it landed on my leg and sure enough the nail went into my leg.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    After spending 15+ years in the construction industry, it has happened to me more times than I care to remember. :D

I'he had nails go clear through my foot and hand. One time a nail went in my thigh, and we needed a pair of pliars to dig it out.

-Mike

3. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Yes, and it sucks!:mad:
    The old rusty ones are the worst. It's like they grow claws and try to hold themselves inside you.:eek:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, three years in a lumberyard, it's bound to happen.

Have you ever been hit in the head by a falling 50 lb box of nails? I have.

Explains a lot doesn't it?

5. Yes!! I jumped down from a ladder and had a big one go right up through my foot. The nail was through a board laying point up and I didn't see it. It ended up poking out the top of my workboot. :eek: My Dad hand to YANK the board and nail out. It took about 3 tries!! That sucked big time but I got a few days off from working :p

6. Gee, \MM/, where'd the idea for THIS thread come from?

:ninja:

Yeah, a couple times, but the most memorable was the one we were discussing, the HEAD of a roofing nail in my foot.

That was a mess....running barefoot through my best friend's front yard, there was a short piece of pine 2" x 4" with a roofing nail sticking out of it, I hit it just right I guess and the head (which for the uninitiated is a larger round piece of metal loosely attached to a regular nail) sliced into my foot.

This happened when I was 10, and I've still got quite the impressive scar there.

:cool:

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

:eyebrow:

8. funkydjembe

funkydjembe

Apr 5, 2007
    Norway
    yep, every once and a while:( I'm a carpenter. Happens when you're either stressed by deadlines or not paying attention.

9. Yes, it totally sucks.

I stepped on a 1"x6" with a nail sticking out, went right into my foot, through my shoe! Pulling it out sucks!

10. Ive had one go right through my foot, that was not fun!

11. Yup.

Once when I was 8, running through some woods and stepped on a board with a big nail in it...through the foot...

Next when I was @13, pitching boards from a demolished garage...went into my arm and the board stopped and hung there.

Good times.

12. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I have stepped on nails on numerous occasions but not recently.

I stapled my hand to a picnic table once , had to yell for help as I was stuck . My dad called me a dumb ass and pulled the staple out with a pair of pliers.

I now work in the sheet metal/air conditioning industry . nothing worse than running a sheet metal screw into your hand , except maybe driving a nail into it.

every time I am at a job site I try to keep a close eye out for halfway driven nails, especially in stairwells , hallways and doorways. They will rip you open something terrible . they always seem to be at chest or arm level. . I remove or drive in everyone I see or if that cannot/shouldn't be done I hang caution tape on them

13. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    It has happened to me twice. I was probably seven or eight years old looking for something in the attic, and a nail went about a quarter of an inch into the top of my head. It probably got infected because I got sick the next day.

The second time was a few years ago, running up the stairs in my house, and my foot got caught on a big thick nail that shouldn't have been sticking out. It went into my foot and I was screaming in pain for twenty minutes. It took about two years for the scar to disappear, and even now I can still see it.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Once. I was at the dump with my dad unloading left-overs after he remodelled the kitchen. It stabbed me in the leg through my pants. It was rusty. I turn to my dad and say "A rusty nail just stabbed me in the leg... I think I should go to a doctor..."

His response? "Nah, you'll be fine."

15. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I once tripped and fell onto a pile of lumber and had a nail go through my hand. Fortunately, it went through the fleshy part between my thumb and finger and didn't do any real damage.

A friend of mine, who is a carpenter, once nailed his thigh with a nailgun. Since he was crouching at the time, he couldn't straighten out his leg because he nailed the muscle to the bone, and since he was on top of a roof he had to climb down the ladder with one leg.

That one resulted in a trip to the emergency room.

16. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    A friend of mine tried to pierce his belly button with a nail (yeah I know!). He ended up nailed to the kitchen table!!!!

honest, true story...

Ian

17. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Stepped on one (didn't go through my foot thank goodness) and we lived in a old church the we converted to a house and we took an old solid barn style door and made a headboard out of it. When moved we had to take it off the wall. I am not a skinny guy by any means but imagine a 200 pound piece of wood falling into you with a wood nail created about a 2 inch puncure wound on the side of your belly.

Took about a month to heal.

18. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yep, numerous times. Been there, got the shot. Most recent one was working on a desk a year or so ago.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I had a nail go through my foot once, I had my friends stand on the board so I could lift my foot off.

20. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I've shot myself with various pneumatic nailers more times than I care to think about.

Now I work with wire, not wood. So far, no staples in my hand, though I've bashed them good with a hammer a few times and once tried to drive a screw through my fret hand.