1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has a string change shown up a dead spot?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Has a string change shown up a dead spot?

Has any one ever come across this before? I ask because I changed the G string on a bass and where as I did not notice a dead spot before the change, when I tried the new string a couple of the notes - 5th fret to 7th fret seemed a little dead compared to the rest of the string.

Am I imaginging this or is this a common thing?

Any comments welcome

Matthew

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Strings can make a big difference. Was it the same brand and gauge of strings as you had on the bass before. If not, how different was it?

Wulf

3. Like the previous post, I have had it happen when I changed string gauge although the 5th fret (and 1 or 2 in either direction) on the G string are bolt-on dead spot hell.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had a pre-CBS Precis that had the dead spot they are famous for when I changed from the lighter gauge, Fender, flatwounds that came with it to roundwound Rotosound Swing 66's.

Still, the Rotos sounded so good, I learned to live with it.

5. speck

speck

Jul 15, 2002
    Sacramento CA, USA
    I put a set of TI Jazz Rounds on an MIA jazz and it fixed a bunch of dead spots (from 2nd fret to about 12th) on the E string. I had always used Roto 45-105 nickels and the TI's are a much lighter gauge, so that may have something to do with it.

Speck

6. Thanks for the replies. It seems I am right in my assumption so I will now try a whole bunch of different G strings [that sounds a bit rude!:oops:] and see if that makes a difference.

I am not sure what strings I have on as they came with the bass!

Thanks

Matthew