Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has a string change shown up a dead spot?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by matthewfoote, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Has a string change shown up a dead spot?

Has any one ever come across this before? I ask because I changed the G string on a bass and where as I did not notice a dead spot before the change, when I tried the new string a couple of the notes - 5th fret to 7th fret seemed a little dead compared to the rest of the string.

Am I imaginging this or is this a common thing?

Any comments welcome

Matthew

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Strings can make a big difference. Was it the same brand and gauge of strings as you had on the bass before. If not, how different was it?

Wulf

3. Like the previous post, I have had it happen when I changed string gauge although the 5th fret (and 1 or 2 in either direction) on the G string are bolt-on dead spot hell.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had a pre-CBS Precis that had the dead spot they are famous for when I changed from the lighter gauge, Fender, flatwounds that came with it to roundwound Rotosound Swing 66's.

Still, the Rotos sounded so good, I learned to live with it.

5. speck

speck

Jul 15, 2002
    Sacramento CA, USA
    I put a set of TI Jazz Rounds on an MIA jazz and it fixed a bunch of dead spots (from 2nd fret to about 12th) on the E string. I had always used Roto 45-105 nickels and the TI's are a much lighter gauge, so that may have something to do with it.

Speck

6. Thanks for the replies. It seems I am right in my assumption so I will now try a whole bunch of different G strings [that sounds a bit rude!:oops:] and see if that makes a difference.

I am not sure what strings I have on as they came with the bass!

Thanks

Matthew