Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has Anbody Else Tried This Tab Program?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I found a bass tab/guitar chord finder called Full Suite Finder v.1.7.12. You just pop in your favorite CD and it pulls up the bass line in tab or the guitar in chords. I downloaded the demo and I'm thinking of getting the full version. Its seems to work good. Has anyone else tried this program? Pros? Cons? Thanks in advance.
    Kelly Lee

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I saw the link you published in another thread to the publisher's website. Could you take snippets from one or two well known songs, run them though the software and post here for comment? I must admit to being somewhat sceptical about the claims being made but it would be interesting to see how it measures up. Try it on something relatively simple, like Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water, and see if it really comes up with a usable transcription.

Wulf

3. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I can try it with some CCR or Fleetwood Mac. I really don't have anything else that is really mainstream like SOTW. The only problem I have right now is it will only tab out a small part of the song and it doesn't let you choose which part. I only have the demo unfortunately.
    Kelly

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmnnn... does it seem to pick a part at random or would you say that it selects an easy portion? If it just does the easy bits, then it's not particularly useful as those are what you need to do yourself to warm up to figuring out the trickier sections.

I've got a complete boxed set of CCR and a lot of their stuff is, as I recall, already tabbed out on the net, so even a portion would probably do if you could tell us the point in the song that it represents.

Wulf

5. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'll use some CCR then. The reason, as I understand it, that it will only do a part of the song isd because its a demo version. The full licensed version is supposed to tab the whole song. I can use my MP3 Trim Pro to cut down a MP3 so it will hopefully tab the part I want. Let me see what I can do.
    Kelly

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Looking forward to it - I'm waiting to be amazed! :D

Wulf

7. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    You'll be waiting for a while.
    I downloaded the demo version of Bass Finder from the same company.
    I was sceptical at first, and was proven right.
    It doesnt work very well at all in my opinion.
    You load in a mp3 which it then converts to a .wav file. After that you click the analyze button. After that its spits out a very poor tab of the of the song.
    Because i had the demo, it only analyzed the first 10 or so seconds.
    Its not capable of producing anything reliable. I could tell just by looking at the results that it was totally off. i didnt even try to play the tabs myself.
    I will asume that BassFinder and ChordFinder are packaged together as the Full Suite Finder.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    That's what I'm assuming - that a program won't be able to do better than even a very average set of ears because to pick the bassline out from all the other noise takes intelligence that hasn't yet been achieved. However, technology moves on, so it's interesting to check these things from time to time ;)

Wulf

9. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Big waste of money to register imo! I sampled it all I got was a bunch of 0 0 0 0 on the E-string. To me it's a joke.

10. poppamies

poppamies

Dec 15, 2002
    That's the truth, the whole truth and nottin' but the truth.
    I have made hundreds of basstabs and I can assure you no man is able to make as poor a basstab as this machine.