Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has any body ever played this before?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by R.Waters, Apr 7, 2005.

1. R.Waters

R.Waters

Apr 7, 2005
  2. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    i played an epiphone version....it was alright..the neck was decent...the sound was aweful though

3. Les Paul should stick with guitars.

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    stay away

5. I played one several months ago. IMO, it didn't sound that great. I would also stay away......

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Remember folks, just because a builder makes awesome guitars does not necessarily mean they make good basses. Note: The short-lived Paul Reed Smith bass.

7. R.Waters

R.Waters

Apr 7, 2005
    which bass is better Warwick or Spector. I know it's off topic but I've been so confused wether I should look into Warwick or Spector, because I herd alot of good compliments to thoughs companies. Their both my favorite but which one would you buy for a low true purly beutiful bass growl.

8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Run Run Run RUN AWAY!!! :hyper:

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Glad to see you're veering away from the Les Paul bass. Quality control at Gibson's USA factory has been extremely spotty of late.

But the Spector vs. Warwick debate is one that has raged on for years and will rage on for years to come.

One is not necessarily better than the other. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruit that grows on trees, but have different colors, textures, and flavors.

Try out as many Warwicks and Spectors as you can and see which one feels right for you. I personally like the feel of both, but I'm more of a Warwick guy myself.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There are more divergent opinions on this than you probably will ever want to read.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Oh I dunno, I liked mine. This was back in the early 70's though...

[​IMG]

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun, Forest!!!

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ed, spanking a toybass?

14. I had a (Gibson) Les Paul Special bass for a couple of years. This was an early 90's 5 string model.

The tone was actually quite good, it was a 34 inch scale. But it was heavy and had terrible neck dive. Also the battery was inside the electronics cover, you had to unscrew four tiny screws and pull the cover to change the battery. What a royal PITA. It did have a Bart preamp and Thunderbird pickups though. The low B was OK, not great but not terrible either. This had a glued neck joint, not bolted like the Epiphones.

After I lost the bass through somebody else's mistakes, I had no desire to buy another one like it. Though I didn't hate the bass....it was unique.

15. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    As much as I like the looks of a Les Paul Guitar, I don't like the looks of it in a bass. Actually I don't really like single cut basses. Me I say Warwick but you have to decide. When I purchased my Warwick I also looked at a ReBop Spector. What sold me on the Warwick was the oil finish and the exotic wood. Oh yes the sound.

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    As much as I dig the sound of Les Paul guitars, I would have to consider the Les Paul Bass a "novelty bass".

17. R.Waters

R.Waters

Apr 7, 2005
    are pearlcaster bass's good? or are they just like another les paul.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    He was young, and in the 70's. I'm sure there were mind altering drugs involved, all of which remove Ed from being responsible for his actions during that time.

Pearlcasters? Those are Ed's basses? I've heard they're INCREDIBLY trebley -- icepick sharp sounding.

19. R.Waters

R.Waters

Apr 7, 2005
    what about danelectro? those are pretty rare guitars by the fact that their not manufactured anymore. are those bass's pretty good?

20. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    That picture is classic Ed... you should show that one to Paul :D. Shameless Hippie plank-spanker!!! ;)