1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has any one compared these heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I was wondering if anyone has compared Ampegs PF500 to the Markbass Littlemark 2/3 head and what cabs have been used in the comparison is any has been done.

2. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    There are plenty of threads dealing with these 2 heads. Not sure if head to head but mentioned on the same thread for sure.

3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Just gotta dig then. Thanks. But I still would like to hear from anyone who has done a head to head competition or at least has owned both.

4. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    JimmyM had a Markabass Little Mark before, and have great knowledge regarding Ampegs, he will turn about sooner or later ;)

5. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Thats the guy that I'm hoping will chime in. Thanks for the encouragement.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I own the LMIII, Pro7, and an SVT CL. I was originally going to pick up the PF as my new micro head because I was hoping it'd get me closer to the Ampeg SVT tone than the LM.

Unfortunately, I found the PF to not do a very good job at this. For starters, the PF sounds very bright. Even when I cranked the lows and brought the highs down it still sounded very glassy. By comparison, I just plug my LM in and with minimal tweaking I have a very warm, round tone that is very comparable to tube amps (especially the SVT).

Another thing I noticed was that when I cranked the PF's volume it would start sounding thin. It seemed as if all the juice was getting pumped to the highs and nothing to the low end. By comparison, when I crank my LM it just gets fatter and the overall tone characteristics seem to be brought up.

One more thing I found notable was the weight comparison between the two heads. For a micro, the PF is not light. In addition, the PF's weight distribution seemed awkward (almost front side heavy). The LM, by comparison, weighs less and has a more even weight distribution, which makes carrying it around in a bag much easier.

I played the PF through the new Ampeg 15 and an Ampeg 4x10 (I can't remember which model specifically). I've played the Markbass through countless cabinets and have never been disappointed by its tube-like tone and warmth.

7. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Great reply Matt. Is that Aldo from Inglorious Bastars as your avatar.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Sure is :)

For what it's worth, I did post a review of my experiences with the PF in the Ampeg PF megathread a while back, and most people seemed to think I had a lemon. That said, I did try out another one on a later date and had similar results as I did with the first one.

I'm not sure what tone you're looking for, but if you're looking for a warm, tubey sound out of a small micro head then I'd highly suggest you pick up the Markbass.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No way, dude! I'm not getting involved in this Charlie Foxtrot of a thread!

:D

But seriously, yeah, I had an LMII and a PF350. Don't have the PF500 but I've played them several times. Hats off to the LMII/III...they were the micro heads that broke through to the masses, and they do have a really good sound. I did think they sounded very Ampeggy and tubey. Still do. But the PF500 has better EQ points that Ampeg fans will like better, and it does dirt, whereas the LMIII is all clean all the time. Also, the LMII had a limiter built into it that clamped down too hard at low volumes. I don't get that from the Ampeg micros.

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Sorry, I haven't tried the PF, but I have played my LMIII through an Ampeg 810, right alongside an Ampeg VR tube head. The LMIII had a slightly different sound, but it was still kinda tuby. It was a real good sound, and clean, of course. The VR had the Ampeg tone, naturally. But, IMO, didn't sound "better," whatever that means. Both sounded great. The LMIII had some highs that didn't chime through on the VR, although I didn't try too hard to find them on the VR.

Last night I had a guy play a '64 P Bass onstage through my LMIII and my Traveler 151P cab. I must say that it was a sweet bass tone. EQ was at noon, no filters. That's all it needed. To me, it was a perfect bass sound.

Dunno if that helps any, but I just never get tired of praising my LMIII.