Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anybody done this to a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Have any of you here made a modification to your bass that involved actually removing wood from the body or the headstock to change the shape of it? If so, pics would be cool.

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    While I am not a fan of his, I did read an interview with Geddy Lee where he said he removed some of the body of a P-bass and it never sounded as good.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's a plank of wood. Giving it a little shave here and there probably won't make much of a difference, and stripping a heavy finish might actually make it sound better. On the other hand, removing a lot of wood from the body is definitely going to have an audible effect on tone and sustain. If you're going to cut it down to Steinie size, I'd recommend against it.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I read soemwhere where this guy got a Squire and scallopped the last few frets and carved the headstock to look like the Yamaha Attitude bass (Billy SHeehan) but I don't remember if he did anything to the body...

5. :eek:

I didn't know there was a such thing as a non-Geddy fan!

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Brian Bromberg's original bass (the brown one) started as a Jazz, he got after it with a band saw and sandpaper. If you go to his site, www.brianbromberg.net, there are pics of many of his basses...Dean is currently producing the B2 series (pronounced B-Squared) and they are AMAZING! I have a fiver. The piezos in the bridge help a lot! Plus, you can use whatever strings you want, even nylon-core.

7. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    i took a chisel and made my first bass (a yamaha rbx 260) a hollow body. I carved out some f holes in cedar shingles and put them in using bondo and smoothed out the body. It lopoks pretty decent for what it is, but still needs lots of work. i painted it like a cow by the way.

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Chipping away significant chunks of yr axe is always risky business in the tone and balance department. Geddy Lee's experimentation with his old P-bass in the 70s was already mentioned. His CBS era sunburst Precision was customized into a teardrop shaped blue and white bass with an additional J-pickup. Though interesting looking, he didn't take to its tone and basically deemed it ruined. On the guitar front, Eddie Van Halen had what he said was a great sounding Ibanez Destroyer (Explorer copy) guitar. He cut a big chunk out of the body to give it a sort of pointy Dean look (think Dimebag's axe). Apparently this Japanese made guitar was made of NOW pricey Korina wood once used on the original batch of Flying Vs, Explorers, and Moderns that came out in the 50s. Bad move! He said his once great sounding guitar was now crap though it looked pretty cool.

Be warned! Slicing and dicing yr bass may be hazardous to your tone!

r

9. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I routed a second pickup into my `71 p-bass.

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well, in terms of resale value; routing into a vintage bass is always a bit risky. However in terms of tone, its not really much of a risk considering the advantage of having that additional pickup. Hell, that and a Badass II bridge was probably one of the most common mods prior to stock basses being equipt with a PJ set up.

r

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I re-routed my SR305 (Ibanez) from soapbars to Yamaha P/Js. Had chunks of maple fitted to fill in the spaces that were made. Obviously the sound and tone changed, as the entire electronics were changed to (to one that was for the pickups), but it was all definitely for the better...no complaits in tone, balance, sustain or anything. Though I guess that's not much of a change...I'm in the process of re-finishing it now, when I get it done I'll snap a pic and post it even..