Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anybody else noticed this about girls they meet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ian Hall, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Rialto,CA
    I meet all kinds of different girls at gigs, bars, the beach, etc, but it seems no matter what, the ones I hit it off with always seem to be a variant of one of two names- Nichole, or Sara.

I recently stopped dating a girl I've known for a couple years, and her name was Sara. Her coworker, who I also dated in high school, was also named Sarah(Note diff. SP). Last night I met a girl named Shara:meh:. I hit it off with her and have a date later this week:cool:

About a year ago, my friend married an ex of mine from high school, named Nichole, and she felt bad that I was single so she made the three of us go out to the bar to meet somebody for me- and I meet a girl named Nikki who was out here for college from New York.

Even stranger, the girls I meet sharing names often share interests and hobbies- the Nicholes have always been Steven King fans and envisioned themselves as a version of Drew Barrymore and been blonde, and the Saras have always been brunette and liked silly comedy movies i.e. Monty Python, and Dumb and Dumber. Keep in mind, I rarely know their name before I meet them so it isn't like I'm picking them out like that or something.

So am I going to end up marrying a Nichole or Sara? Was I married to one in a past life??? What is the deal with this- I'm starting to get freaked here!

Anyone else have this problem? I would say 3 out of 5 girls I meet have one of these names...Wierd.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    For a while I had Sara(h) issues as well. Not as pleasant as yours sound however. :p

I've hardly known any Nicholes.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmm...sara and nichole are your two favorite girl's names? so that whenever you meet one you are instantly more inclined to be nice to them for whatever reason, and then they like that and are nice to you?

either that or you have some weird celestial sara/nichole graviton locator :meh:

4. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    While it never really affected me, I had a friend who always had girlfriends named Lynn. It used to be a big joke between us. We'd be in a bar and meet a couple of girls. One would intorduce herself as Lynn. We'd just laugh to each other and a week later he was moving in with her. You are not alone in this problem.

5. hmm, i dated a cheerleader (woot) off and on last year named sarah, and theres like an 8th grade marimba player in marching band named nicole that has a crush on me, but other than that i dont think theres any signifigance to this theory. there are however, a number of jessicas that i find my self attracted to at school (theres like 5 or 6 i can think of)

oh well, i like the girl, not the name. ;)

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I have a theory about this too, but mine doesn't relate just to girls.

I've noticed that I get along great with people with certain names. Every time I meet a Lauren, Mark, Anne,another Pete, etc, they're usually pleasant natured, funny and very friendly. Every time I meet a Susan, Michael, Steve, Carole, they're bad tempered, stuborn and hard to get along with.

I'm starting to think your name is as instrumental in determining your personality as your star sign. It's far from an exact science, but interesting all the same............

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Pete, I think along the same lines of what you are talking about. It largely could have something to do with their childhood as it happened with their name as a factor.

Were they taunted? did they constantly have to tell people how to spell their name? did, having a more common name allow them to hit it off easier with other people with that name "hey you're pete too...cool let's be friends" ?

things like that could play a role in their later-year temperament.

just a thought.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yeah you're right. this whole "Name-ology" nonsense probably just a massive co-incidence.

And every now and then, someone comes along who is the exception. One of the guitarists I work with at the moment is a Michael and he's a top bloke.......... so ignor me!

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Jeez, that's right. Chicks have names. Are they important? Without sounding like an outrageously attractive young bass-thwacker'ing cad (which I am, ask anyone from Australia), I don't usually go in for formalities like that. I just... go... uhhhh, in? :D

But yeah, you have problems. See someone.

10. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Hey I know!If you ever have a daughter name her Sara Nicole.......:)

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No. I have a terrible difficulty remembering names at all.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What it means, Ian, is that you are in the Twilight Zone.

13. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've noticed one common thing about all the girls I've met recently:

They all want to be friends. :rolleyes: I give up.

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    When in Michigan, you stand a 50/50 chance of being right by calling a woman Debbie. A 1 in 4 chance with Vickie.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

zat so? upon reading that I sprung to think of if I knew any debbies from michigan, right off the bat I knew 3 :p

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I'm currently after a girl named Sarah, and there's another Sarah whom I knew since I was really little who I wouldn't mind hooking up with either. They're both really cool people. Other Sarahs haven't been as cool as the 2 I mentioned, so I dunno. On a similar note, None of the other Mikes I know are like me at all really....one's a white-gangsta rap-wannabe fella and another's a sports kinda guy, and usually are that type. I don't see a pattern with Mike, although I have seen a few comic artists names Mike......

17. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The only nicole/sara i know is a cranky bitch who has every poor quality you could possibly have in a human.

18. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I got a Samantha, Jessica, Amy thing goin on.

19. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    in my culture (i'm Paki, but i think it's the same with all desi/brown people) it's believed that the name determines a little bit of who you are, what you are gonna be like, etc.

i think this could be true, because my parents gave me my name after a writer/poetress (i was not named after her though), and i'm good in writing, etc.

behaviour and problems in life are also associated somewhat with names...but these are just guidelines, and not always true.

also, there are a couple of sites that tell you your "name analysis" or something like that...i don't know the address but a search engine will probably get you somewhere (although the one i used was full of desi names).

it's pretty interesting.

wow that was a loooooong post :)

20. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

again I respond, that I feel any character traits that can be linked to one's name, are likely due to how they were treated because of their name. what people's first impressions were "oh I knew a dave, he was nice...maybe you are nice too" what people's experiences were "ahahah bart fart bart fart"
    and all that stuff.