1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anybody ever created a web server?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokn388, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jokn388

jokn388

Apr 11, 2007
    What did your infrastructure consist of? What server software did you use? Any other features?

Additionally: What did you use to create the website (Frontpage, Dreamweaver, yourself, etc)? Did you use Actionscript, or Javascript, etc?

I figure this may be a stretch asking a forum of bassists, but was just curious :)

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I currently have a couple of sites running on an Lenovo Thinkpad T61(a notebook!) and Windows Server 2003. The site is mainly in .NET and I using for testing purposes and to host images that I post here and other places.

For example:

http://photo.mycontent.us:81/bass

I've also migrated sites to different hardware and set them up from scratch though most of what I do is programming.

3. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Yep. My server uses Apache and Tomcat for the server side stuff. I code everything using KWrite or if I'm on Windows, Crimson Editor.

4. My newest server is a Windows 2008 box running IIS 7.0

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Done it a few times. What you need really depends on what you intend to host on it, as well as number of users.

Basically, all you need is a computer that can run the web server software which is usually HTTPD or Apache for Unix/Linux, or IIS for Windows, and an internet connection.

My favorite way of editing webpages, call me old school, but any old text editor like Notepad works for me.

FWIW, you can run a webserver from an iPhone or iPod Touch if you install BSD onto it.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I ran an Apache web server on a Linux box in my closet with MySQL for databases.

I coded in Dreamweaver, and utilized some Javascript.

I no longer do this. All my hosting is done offsite.

7. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
  8. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009