Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anybody ever hooked up over the net...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Have any of you ever met somebody through those online musicians wanted type ads...I responded to an ad placed at harmonycentral.com and have spoke to the guy on the phone - I'd like to meet with this guy and audition for a band he's putting together...do you think I need to take precautions, like meeting for the first time in a public place, or anything else...or is it safe enough to just go knock on his door. I would think that age would be a factor here - I'm 27 (the guitarist is 34)...so I'm no kid going to meet a stranger...but, I don't want to end up in somebody's basement with them lowering lotion down to me in a basket on a rope....anybody have any experience with this? Advice?

2. I haven't met any portential band mates that way, but I have met a lot of folks. I've done both, met in public, and had folks over to my place. When I had folks to my place, there were generally several other people invited. Never had a problem with anyone I met that way. Of course, I did spend a lot of time getting to know them in chat and email first.

Best advice, if you're not comfortable, meet in public.

Lisa

3. I met my current band through the classifieds. It's kind of similar to what people say about buying things online--sometimes you can get a pretty good sense of how the person is when you talk over the phone. I arranged to meet my band's singer at a Starbuck's, and that was probably a good idea. I'm a pretty sizable fellow, so I wasn't afraid of anything scary happening, but we both figured that meeting informally just to talk was a good idea. You can kinda see if you'll get along, and there's no pressure of having musical instruments. So that way, when you arrange to play music together, everyone will be a little less nervous at the whole thing.

The drummer joined the band the same way, and we've been a band for almost two years now. So it can happen.

4. My current band is completely hooked up over the net