Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anybody ever played a lap steel bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by R.Waters, Jun 19, 2005.

1. R.Waters

R.Waters

Apr 7, 2005
    I wonder if anybody here has ever played a lap steel bass? if so post pictures please I cant seem to find anything on those things.

2. they exist? ive heard of a lap steel guitar but not bass

3. mofomage

mofomage

Jun 18, 2005
    MARS
    a lapsteel bass? thats not real is it?

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've used a steel on my bass laid across my lap for that effect. Never serious enough to try it with my band though. Sounds kinda cool.

5. I've seen this done, with a regular bass, and a steel rod

I'm not sure exactly how it worked though, but the bassist from Crust used to do it. That was also the band to amplify a garage door spring.

6. At the most, I've used one of those steel bars on my bass to give it a sweet fretless sound. However it's not intricate enough to use in most situations, obviously, as you can't hit too many nots in a short period of time. You can probably pull off "Hey You" from Pink Floyd though!

I'd imagine that a lap steel bass would be pretty interesting, but I don't know how useful it would be in a band situation.

7. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    John Paul Jones played one on one song on the album he did with Diamanda Galas. It says something like "lap steel bass" or "bass lap steel" in the credits... sounds like a lap steel only lower - in other words there isn't much thump to speak of.

Mark Sandman (Morphine) played a two-string bass with a slide. Not a lap steel bass but should give you some relevant ideas.

8. Sandman??? lol

two string bass? i want one!