Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anybody ever seen a bass like this? ( big pic embedded )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Apr 22, 2001.

1. A custom carved out precision bass style instrument that I had converted to a 5-string fretless with Alembic pickups. A date underneath the neck heel indicates that it was built in 1974 but I think the neck is from a late 60's Fender P or J-bass ( although there isn't a Fender decal ). It has the narrow nut like a Jazz-Bass but I've heard that some old Precision-Basses had a narrow nut too.

[​IMG]

I have been trying to figure out who created this instrument for over 10 years now. I'm wondering if there are others like it.

Does anybody have any clues?

More pics at:

http://www.unpronounceable.com/digital/instruments.html

- Dave

2. i have seen it before
    if i was to guess where i would guess www.bunnybass.com

they might have some info for you

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    whats that on the d string behind the bridge?

4. That's the tuner for the D-String. It's a Wilkenson (sp?) 4+1 bass bridge for converting a 4-string Precision or Jazz bass to a 5-string. The other end of the string is anchored by the string-hold-down mushroom thingy on the headstock and you tune it with the knob on the bridge.

Unfortunately, the way it's designed, I would break the D-string when trying to tune it so I don't play that one very often. It's more of a nostalgia piece for me because I got if for X-mas circa 1985.

- Dave

5. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I'm sure that Gruffpuppy has more experience in these matters than I,but it looks like a homemade/one of a kind luthier built special to me.The reason for that opinion is that it has a definite,distinctive "flavour" that is definitely not pleasing to all tastes.Anyhow,I think it's pretty safe to say that there aren't too many[any?] others like this kicking around.If you put it up for sale on E-bay you might get some a surprising amount of interest from collectors of such items.

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    if the upper horn is modeled after an hippo head, this bass is great!

7. Yeah, everybody calls it the Hippo-Bass. :)

Got it for about $400 back in the mid-80's ( was a gift, actually ). I will have this bass til the day I die.

- Dave

8. If it is a Fender jazz neck, it is 1965 or earlier. If it has a slab board, that would make it 60-62 ish..but it looks like a veneer board...63-65 ish.

Are the position dots pearl or clay? Clay is before mid 64. They look like pearl from the pic, so that would make the neck 1963-5.... ish....

Got any more pics?

9. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
  10. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  11. Nope, wasn't him. I asked. He does good work though. I may have him carve my Warr Raptor.

- Dave

12. mmmmmmmmmmmm, funko..i mean hippopotimus!!