1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anybody ever tried anything like this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gopherbassist, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    There are all kinds of interesting instruments out there. It seems like many people have come up with new ideas, new techniques, and new materials to make a bass or guitar out of. Today I stumbled on a video that shows a guitar made in a way I never could have imagined if someone hadn't introduced the idea to me: A ceramic guitar.

There's also a follow up video with an idea of how to make one of these:

This is so intriguing to me, the only major issue I can think of is that they say that it would be hard to find a kiln big enough to make a guitar in, which makes it seem like the chances of making a bass this way are quite slim.

I've never made any instrument before, but I've been toying with the idea for a while, and something completely different like this has a certain appeal. Does anyone else here have an inkling of an urge to try something like this?

2. Sounds like it's your time... Dive in. I'm doing my first build now. There will plenty of folks here to give advice or try to help solve problems. Also, people have experience from different backgrounds in their professional life that can be quite helpful; especially if you're trying something new. I hope you give it a shot!

3. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Mesa, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    Kilns are not particularly complex apparatuses. Given enough firebrick & heating element wire, building a kiln big enough to fire a bass would be half the fun of a project like this.

The difficulty would come in the calculations for shrinkage and mold creation.

Gopherbassist likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Stop it, you're just kiln me. Always wanted to use that one. :D

Gopherbassist and I-Am-The-Slime like this.
  5. As an electric, it will work great. Not so much as an acoustic....

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There was another thread on this, some time in the past five years I think. You can search it up for possibly more info.