1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anybody ever tried this? Or heard of it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Joey.Ogden, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Joey.Ogden

Joey.Ogden

Aug 11, 2008
    Well, I'm laying out the hollow pockets on my first bass. It's gonna be a semi-hollow body. And I got this idea... Instead of having one big pocket, why not have a bunch of drill holes, very close together, so that there are columns of wood left behind but most is removed? This would allow the top and back to be much thinner than my planned 1/4" but still just as strong. Or the leftover wood could create walls, with air passages in between.

So, the body would be very rigid, with lots of surface area to move air around inside, but still very light and strong. from what I know this should produce a different tone than a normal hollowbody. But has it ever been tried before? And if so, does it sound any good?

2. Joey.Ogden

Joey.Ogden

Aug 11, 2008
    That's close to what I was thinking. Except in mine, the holes would all be connected, probably with a small sound hole. So rather than a series of small routed chambers, it would be a single chamber filled with columns.

3. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Whenever I chamber I usually do just that, I simply use a forstner bit. Usually I'll do it on builds that use heavier woods and only in choice spots like in the upper horn of a singlecut or between pickups (BE CAREFULL) Keep in mind though that when I do this I do it strictly to shed weight. I do not think it effects the sound good or bad but I have no conclusive proof either way.

4. Joey.Ogden

Joey.Ogden

Aug 11, 2008
    Thanks. My primary objective is to shed weight as well (10 pounds for a shortscale is just embarrassing) but I wonder how the tone will be affected... guess I'll find out soon. :)

Thanks for the answers.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There's a guy who does this on his basses (or guitars maybe, I don't remember exactly). But he has a whole pseudo-scientific explanation of why this will make the world's best magical tone, so I guess I didn't file the guy's company name into my permanent memory, because of the BS factor.

6. Hi.

If You take a scietific approach and google Helmholz resonator

(http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&q=helmholz+resonator&meta=)

and/or the wavelenghts of the musical notes (http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html for example)

you can construct the chambers to amplify or dampen certain frequencies (mostly harmonics and overtones in a bass, obviously).

The result in an amplified instrument may or may not be audible, I'd guess the latter ;).

If all Your chambers are the same size, it may lead to some dead spots though.

On the other hand it might be useful in getting rid of the usual dead spots.

Try it and tell us the outcome.

Regards
    Sam