1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anybody heard of the spaceman bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tomservo17, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Tomservo17

Tomservo17

Jul 10, 2007
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PVVB2OfbBUY

It looked really intereresting, I was thinking of building one and making some improvements on the placement of the pickups as well by fattening the bar near the bottom and making grooves for the pickups.

Thoughts?

2. Tomservo17

Tomservo17

Jul 10, 2007
    Link me to a site that sells some good ones?

3. Tomservo17

Tomservo17

Jul 10, 2007
    I want to know what other design flaws you can think of that might be possible to fix as well with a little bit of money and effort.

4. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    It's suppose to be really heavy. He made an aluminum version, that doesn't sound anywhere near as good. Well, pretty crap really.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wXPACZktOP8&mode=related&search=

Also, the strap button is somewhere in the middle of the neck. That doesn't look good for upper range access.

The tuning keys are too exposed. Looks really easy to knock it out of tune.

I don't like the position of the strap button at the bridge. The upper fret access looks wrong to me.

-> Better tuning system.
    -> better straplock position.
    -> weight vs tone (aluminum sounds rubbish, steel is heavy).
    -> How would the neck move with other composites?
    -> It's a stick. How comfortable is it really?
    -> I'm a bit scared by all-metal instruments! (Electric shocks :)).
    -> It's a giant antenna. How does it cope in a noisy environment?

In his aluminum version, he added some of the improvements.

my $0.02

5. tips

tips

Jan 25, 2007
    Haifa, Israel
    I must say, that sounds really good :X

6. Tomservo17

Tomservo17

Jul 10, 2007
    I agree with all of that, weight was never really an issue with me concerning basses, my current bass is roughly 12 or 13 lbs and I'm sure I could find a way to shave off enough weight in certain places to knock it down to 12 or 14 (Like contouring the back of the neck).

As for the strap, I'll just have to try different things because most of the weight will still be at the bottom of the neck, due to some extra thickness I'll need to get the pickups in UNDER the strings.

Tuning keys will probably be solved by using a headless tuning system, which, like said before, will affect the overall weight as well by takin off about 2 or 3 lbs of neck weight.

And yeah, the aluminum did sound like garbage, but I'm willing to do anything for the sake of tone. I might use aluminum however to "Fake" a natural bass body, or another lightweight metal material. Something hollow and in the shape of an actual guitar to make me feel more at home.

Would insulating the pickups help protect against electromagnetic interference? Like, lining them with rubber?

And yeah, as far as shocks go, really I'll just have to be careful.

7. Tomservo17

Tomservo17

Jul 10, 2007
    I imagine a really gnarly benefit is that you get really damn close to the crunchy noise of a fretted bass but with the glissandos and the buttery "mows" of a fretless bass.

8. Tomservo17

Tomservo17

Jul 10, 2007
    Bump for more ideas.

9. kipsus

kipsus Physicist

Sep 18, 2005
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    On the contrary, as long as the body is grounded, it acts like a shield to the pickup. The more metal around it, the better. It's no more of an "antenna" than usual grounded strings

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Headless bridge tuners are an obvious ugrade.
    Pickup location will be a probelm whatever you do.
    Balance issues are hard to solve.
    Actually most problems could be solved by adding a body.
    I wonder why nobody ever thought about it.