1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anybody here lied and passed a polygraph?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FingerDub, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    I need to take a polygraph test soon and need to lie to pass regarding my prior drug use, among other things. I've heard of a tack in your shoe, however they can just ask you to take your shoes off.

Has anybody lied and actually passed? What did you do? The only other thing I've heard is to clench your buttcheeks when you are telling the truth, and unclench them when you are lying.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Subbed!

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Convince yourself that what you are saying is true.

It seems to work for the majority of people on the internet.

Low84, kobass, fretter and 14 others like this.
  4. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    But those people aren't being polygraphed.

5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Took and passed one for a job interview. It was interesting. I had nothing nefarious to hide though :)

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY

kobass, MJ5150, JimK and 9 others like this.
  7. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Smoke some and the detector won't know.

8. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    What kind of hot water have you gotten yourself into?

9. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Alcoholisim, drug use, high risk behavior...Other than that I'm a really awesome person.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Recently? I have a history of those things but not a current....history. If you can pass a drug test now, how can your history prevent them from hiring you?

11. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    It's a government job.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    And past shenanigans disqualify you? That sucks.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  13. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I totally believe you.

Low84 and 10cc like this.
  14. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Very true, but the convincing yourself that what you are saying is true still works for the polygraph.

Maybe hipnosis could help?

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    As far as I know all the tricks that can be done to cheat the test will only lead to inconclusive results, which are just as bad as lies. I could be wrong.

James Collins likes this.
  16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Does prior drug use automatically disqualify you? Perhaps instead of trying to fudge the test do a little research ( if you haven't already, of course ) into the job and it's current employee base. I wish you the best man I know getting a government job is a nice gig for us older peeps.

17. mobdirt

mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017
    jobs require polygraph tests? insane

18. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Not weed. But admitting you did anything else, such as cocaine, Ecstasy, Meth, etc is an automatic disqualification. The last time I did any of those things was over 15 years ago.

19. I pulled off a Top Secret clearance with full disclosure. I didn't have to lie & if I had they would have found out anyway.
    If it's that serious they do a background check. If there's anything in your past to link you to drug use, just don't bother, because you will get fired later on during the background check.
    The Poly is just the beginning of the background check. If you lie & they can prove it, you're done!

Jobs that require a security clearance do.

CapnSev, cassanova, fretter and 13 others like this.
  20. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    They don't use them over here, but I've lied convincingly enough on occasions;)
    I think the essence here is how you do ( manipulate) the 'control' part of the test, which they then use to assess the rest of it, they have to do this as everyone reacts differently, even if telling the truth.
    You need to do some research first, but I'd be looking at it from the above method, and do some practice with friends to get it down!!!

Bassbeater likes this.