Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anybody here played the Brice Ash-bodies Fretless 5-string? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Has anybody here played the Brice Ash-bodies Fretless 5-string? Here's the picture:

[​IMG][​IMG]

What do you think? I'd like to get one if it is a good bass. How's the fretboard? Is it massively heavy?

2. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    When I ordered the fretted version they sent me that one by mistake. I've never been a fan of fretless maple fingerboards but it seemed like a good bass. Obviously I didn't get to play it with good strings or set it up so it's hard for me to really judge it but it seemed to play well. As far as sound it sounds just like a fender j-bass so if that's the tone you want, it should do it for you.

3. Is it mother heavy? I had a Lakland 55-01 made of ash and it gave me some back pain to be sure. This Brice is just so beautiful and I want a decent fretless.

4. They say it weighs 13 pounds, so yes, it would qualify as mother heavy. Even so, I think that it would be lighter than my ash 70's P-bass. I think it weighs around 15. Weight isn't so bad when it balances well, though.

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know, I guess it's heavier than some basses but it's certainly not uncomfortable. Heavy instruments have never bothered me though, I'm still a young lad yet :).

6. I asked Kurt how much it really weighs. He put it on a scale and it weighed in at 10.5 lbs - not too bad. I'm getting one!

7. One more bump. Anybody else played one of these? What about the fretted version?

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought the Jazz Bass model with the lined fretless rosewood board and a black finish. I've forgotten the model number, but it's shown at the website with the sunburst model. I've already sold it, but I have to say it was a very decent bass for the price. This bass might be the same as the ash / maple model that you're interested

My main problem was the string spacing; it was much narrower than most five strings or even a standard 4 string Jazz. Sorry, I didn't bother to measure it. Due to the string spacing the bass was just not for me. String spacing aside, I must say that the the finish, playability, and the tone was very good for a bass in this price range. Very Jaco with lots of MWAHH!

9. It sounds like you had one of the essex five strings. Those are essentially four string basses fitted with an extra tuning machine. The Brice Douglas five string have medium/narrow string spacing. I think it's almsot the same as on a stringray five.

10. Have you played one of these or one of the Brice Douglas 5 fretted?

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep Bassman1185, that's right I had an Essex. Never tried the Brice Jazz Basses though.

The happy ending is that I had a local luthier defret one of my Laklands, and it turned out exactly as I wanted.

12. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    There is a used one in mint shape at a local music store by my house- been there for a few months. I played it first with the factory strings on, then played it again a few weeks later with some black-coated flatwounds, I can't remember that manufacturer.
    Anyway, with the stock strings, it sounded rather nasty and was uncomfortable to play. Once it got a proper setup and good strings put on it, it played quite nicely and had a good smooth punch. It is "mother-heavy", but for a bass under $300, it is a good buy.

13. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    HAte to revive dead threads......but,

Does this bass have fret markers or dots on the fret board binding. I see the fretboard doesn't have them but I think I would be lost without any indication of where the frets are.

danman

14. It's supposed to have side dots where the frets would normally be.