Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anybody played the swr 12 stack cabs? No tweeter, anygood?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 16, 2002.

1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    Im thinking of getting one or two. I think there cool cause i know there's alot of lows there (I play a five) but is the whole no tweeter idea anygood, And could anybody recomend me a good pre amp/ power amp setup to power them. I have only ever played with regular amps and i was thinking of a 750x or a sm900 but two of them together (two 2/12 stacks) can handle so much more. please help.

2. I've been using the SWR Twelve Pack (2x12) for a cupla months now and I can say that I'm quite happy with it. With my early 70's SVT the cab has a lot more punch that it did with only an ampeg 410. Tighter sound but way more balls too and clarity to boot.
    I like it!

3. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    thanks. Is the peavy 4/12 cab, any good?

4. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The specs say they don't have the lows. See the SWR sight.

5. Well they definitely have a lot more lows than the Ampeg 410 I wuz using by itself before. I'm not a big fan of 15's cuz I mostly play very fast, driving sort of stuff and 15's always lose that. The SWR 212 seems to be exactly what I wanted.

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    there's lies, damn lies and specs.

SWR's Goliath Sr., for example, has a low freqency spec of 55hz. Yet it has no lack of audible lows. Same thing with SVT810's which have a cutoff around 60.

It's one thing to read about a cab, another to hear it.

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Other companies make 2x12s with tweeters, if thats what you want.

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    get the audiophile 2x12 with the tweeter. They are amazing. Ive never played the swr 2x12 but the audiophile has a horn, at least sumthing you should try.

9. I recently picked up a used SWR 212 "12-pack" bass cab & think it's totally killer.Punchy loud,& deep sounding.Incredible cab IMO.So figured,I'd ressurect this old thread to get some more discussion going about SWR 212's

Also-was wondering what people's opinions are on the older Bigfoot 212 and the Workingman's 2X12 cabs?

10. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    I used to have 2 - 12 stacks. I used them with a SWR Bass 750 and a SWR Power 750. I did like them and I didn't feel they need a tweeter. Very punchy in the mids and a little looser sounding then say the Goliath III 4x10 cabs. I also think they look great !:bassist:

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the 12 stack and 12 pack were killer boxes. The other 2 have tweeters and are much different.

As far as tweeterless cabs with 12" drivers for bass... I've used them on and off since the 80s. I'm pretty set with the 2x12" tweeterless cab I'm using now.

12. Well, you seem to have hit the nail on the head. I sold my 12 Pack a few months ago, now wishing I still had it!