Has anybody seen anything like this one? Custom, no-name, carved, hippo-head ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Okay, I posted these pics a few years ago but never have traced the origin of this instrument which I bought used at Flynn Guitars in Evanston, Illinois in 1984. It has a Fender backplate with a serial # that seems to date it to 1976 but I could swear that the neck was much older, late 60's with no decal on the headstock but other than that, seems to be an authentic Jazz-bass or possibly an old P-bass neck (with the narrow nut like on a Jazz). The bass has been converted to a 5-string fretless with Alembic pickups. It used to have normal pickups and was fretted with 4 strings. It also had normal knobs. I added the antique radio knobs.

Anybody ever seen anything like this before? :confused:

- Dave
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I really like that bass. I think it would be really nice if the carving went all te way up the top horn (I don't see why it doesn't) and if it didn't have a hippo head on it. The hippo takes away from the overall look. I still think it is awesome though. I am suprised there isn't more wood sculpting and carving like that in the high end boutique marketplace. I've seen a few, but I am suprised it hasn't become more common.
  4. That looks just like it!!!! :D

- Dave
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Amazing, really.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Well, there's this eagle-lookin' bass at Jon Hill's shop...
  7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've never seen anything out there like it, but it's cool!
  8. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    "Amusing basses" from Bunnybass