Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HAS ANYBODY SEEN THESE NEW BREED OF BASSES?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FumandoV, Dec 2, 2004.

1. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I got endorsed from Puerto Rican bass maker Ray Ramirez. Let me tell you these basses are the s***. They make them however you want, with the most exotic woods and electronics. This is not strange inside the circle of custom manufacturers but the thing is the price. I, a long time ago bought a used Fodera 5 string monarch around $5000. Ray's basses, new, are along the $2400 -$3000 with all the most expensive of things. I having the Fodera challenged the Ray for sound quality and let me tell you the Ray stood in front of the Fod. Playability, tone, weight..... ect... The Ray : draw with the Fod. The only thing I didn't like is the stock headstock which I changed with Ray for my own design. But for $2500 is as good as the Butterfly. Just check it out and you'll see. For more info. ask me or got to Ray Ramirez Basses :D

Attached Files:

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  3. Nah, this isn't spam. He's just promoting his favorite brand of bass the same way that many of us do. Check his previous posts. He's a member, not a spammer.

- Dave

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I thought the same thing. The dude loves his new bass, and wants us to know about it. That's cool.

-Mike

5. I have to agree. The headstock doesn't appeal to me. Neither does the shape of the lower horn. One question though, and maybe you know the answer. Why is there so much space between the edge of the neck and the B and C strings? It just seems like there is a lot of unused space to me.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hmm. May sound good, but look poopy.

In my humble opinion, I think a bass must be visually appealing before all else. These don't do it for me. Next!

7. An equally valid question is why is there so little space on most basses? Personally, I wouldn't mind little extra space. There have been many times where I've slipped the high C (or F on my 7's) or low B off the side of the neck when doing heavy vibrato. I dig the spacing on that, though, I might shave just a little of that extra space off.

- Dave

8. If I got endorsed by anyone, even a babybass company from PR, I would make it known to all. Not likely to happen, though.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I checked out the sticky from JT, and this is rule #1

1. as per the forum usage agreement, no threads with the specific intent of advertising a product can be started. that means that no pricing information can be included in the thread. furthermore, if an instrument is built with the intention of being sold then that's a no-no. however, if you are building an instrument for a specific person, such as another member here at talkbass, i see no problem with sharing that info as long as it's informational only.

After further review, I think the post started out as something good, but turned to spam in the end. Just my opinion.

As far as the basses themselves? I think they look cheesy.

-Mike

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A bit nice, a lot wierd.

11. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    we try not to be insulting in our posts, ok? try a little harder next time please Sorry, Coke. I'm very sorry.

Yeah.... I talking to Ray to see if we could change the headstock a bit, give it a little more aggressive look. The lower horn has gotten refined, I agree it goes too low and feels weird when sitting to play. The issue about the empty space in the neck: these were the first basses to come out to see some musician feedback. When these basses were finished we had a problem with the bridges and had to install the one pictured but the new bridges take advantage of the wide neck. Anyway the bass could be done to your own preference. My latest bass has a , more or less, Fodera body 6 string, Alembic headstock, and Aguilar's 3 band 18 electronics with Bart pups. Made of zebrawood, Imbuya,Bubinga and purpleheart. Pau-ferro fingerboard. All this for $2000. To be made at my will, it's worth it. Also I get a 75% discount.... :D

Thanks for your support .

12. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    This is informational only. Damn....

13. Isn't Ray Ramirez better known for making double basses and baby-basses? If so, then i'd say he's not doing too bad making electrics. I'm all about making sure it's got the "look" that i want, but more or less it's about the sound the thing makes. Hell, i'd string up and plug in a turd if it made me sound (and play) like Jaco, Vic, or John paul Jones...

14. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    See, the only reason I called it spam is this: You have an endorsement with Mr. Ramirez. You're being compensated in some way in order to play his bassses. This in no way denigrates your praise of Ray's basses, but it certainly does color your opinions.

That said, one doesn't need to be excited over his bass while trashing other makers. Those are advertising tactics.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yup. My band, in fact, is endorsed by Godin guitars, yet you don't go seeing me starting a thread about them.

But then again, I don't play their basses. I might be getting one of their guitars pretty soon though. :bag:

16. You know what they say; "Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."

:D

- Dave

17. yeah. . .nice wood but a little asymetrical. the strings do not traverse the middle of the body. I heard those babybasses are good. he sells a book for playing latin bass.

18. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Personally, I like knowing about new brands, and I even want to know what they cost!

I have no problem with this guy's post whatsoever.

If, however, no one had ever heard of him and his first post is a link to EBAY..well, that's another story, isn't it?

:hyper: I think I will have an RC cola about now!!

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it's a user sharing his instrument, and he's a member of the forums, so let the spam thing rest please.

i've shared before how much the many instruments that i have had built for me by bill conklin cost, and i wasn't spamming. sharing information. that's what we're here for.

20. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Haleluya!!! Thanks John :bassist: