Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anybody spoken with Jack Read lately?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Jul 26, 2005.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Read website is down and I tried calling but only got a v/m. The mute switch on my Purity broke :( and it's only about a year old, so I was hoping to get in touch with him to discuss.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jack is out of business by choice (a difficult choice I'm sure). He's only offering his preamps for sale now. If you left a message regarding your issue he should get back to you soon.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Send him an email jack.read@comcast.net

I haven't corresponded with Jack in a few weeks, but when I did, he did take a while to get back to me, which was strange because he always used to get back in touch with me within 24 hours. It's the summer, so he may just be busy, taking some time off, and he may have forgotten to renew the website.

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I talked to Jack a few months ago and he mentioned that he might be downsizing his business in the future. At the time of our conversation, his plans were to focus on his Purity preamps and I think his Model J and Model P basses.

I'm sure he'll get in touch with you as soon as he can.

- Art

5. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Really? That's a shame. His custom basses are awesome, as I'm sure his P & J's are too. I remember he told me that he basically earns the equivilant of minimum wage for what he does, and that he makes the majority of his money off of doing repairs.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually, Jack has stopped doing repairs. I contacted him a few weeks back about a setup (he's worked on my basses for many years) and he told me I should look for someone else. I assumed at the time he was too busy building, he didn't say he was going out of business.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not completely out of business. He has stopped repairs as well as making amps (other than the bass pre) and basses.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I was always amazed at Jack's versatility. It's too bad he has to narrow his scope, but it's certainly understandable.

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That sucks that he's not doing repairs anymore. Now that he's not doing it and I don't see eye to eye with the other local repair guy around here, I'm SOL :)

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    fourstringdrums,

Take the drive into Cambridge and try out Jim Mouradian. I think you'll be very pleased with his work. That's where I went after Jack told me he wasn't doing repairs any more.

11. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    I completely understand. Unless you have the status of a Michael Tobias or Roger Sadowsky, it's really hard to get what your basses are worth, and by trying to keep overhead low, you end up being the webmaster, shop helper, woodworker, sander,designer,clean up guy, finish guy, receptionist, etc etc........ it's exhausting:

That's why at a point in my life when I had reached a fork in the road, I chose to teach full time and be very selective about luthiery projects rather than do luthiery full time. For me it was the right choice because while I'm an o.k. luthier, I'm a great teacher and that's the direction God pointed me in.

As an acquaintance of Jack's I know he's already landed on his feet and probably for the better!

K Hoyt

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Very glad to hear that!

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, I've seen some of the basses you've made...you must be one hell of a tracher.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm also glad to hear everything is o.k. with Jack and his current situation. He's one great person to do business with and the Purity preamp is worthy of all the hype.

- Art

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I sent Jack an e-mail last night around 10:30 CST and was astounded to see he replied in about 4 minutes! He said I should just send my Purity back to him and he'll take care of it.

Due to a lot of travel after the next 2 weeks, I'm going to hold off sending it to him until I start travelling. Hopefully I won't be without for too long.;)

16. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Glad you heard back from him. I've sent him emails before where he's replied that fast.

17. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    Originally Posted by hoytbasses
    "As an acquaintance of Jack's I know he's already landed on his feet and probably for the better!"

That is purely speculation on my part, having not talked with him in quite a while, but he's the type of person who WILL do well in the long run!

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jack's one of the kindest people that I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I'm sure that he's now getting more well deserved time with his family by making this decision. I know when I spoke to him last he had gotten a job in electronics and although it's not his own company he seemed quite happy.

19. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I'd like to get the specs on the Purity preamp and pics. At one point in time, he had his amps page as a PDF. Does anyone have that? I'd like to get a bit more info and his website still seems to be down.

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If no one else has the specs, if you email jack at jack.read@comcast.net he can get them for you. I emailed him a few days ago and he got to me within 2 days or so.