Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anybody tried a Powered Sub

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gatekeeper, Mar 28, 2005.

1. gatekeeper

gatekeeper

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm thinking about trying an active/powered sub, in addition to my Acme low B2 rig...just wondering if anybody has had luck with this type of setup.

I'd be playing very bass heavy live electronica, funk, and dub styles.

Our band uses an active Yorkville sub sometimes for small gigs. Its good for kick drum and bass in a medium room http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=71&cat=31&id=109
    That seems almost small enough to lug around to gigs myself

Mackie makes a good one too.

Im thinking about the smaller ones though, just as an extension of my normal rig. I could even put it across the stage.

what do ya'll think?

2. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    For awhile, my stage rig consisted of an Avalon U5 driving a Mackie SRM450 sitting on top of a Mackie SRS1500. Sounded nice, full and balanced. This setup was particularly effective for gigs on large stages where I'd have to be more than 10 feet away from the rig, since there's a little "throw" to those speakers.

I've now gone to a couple of Acme B2's for cabs powered by a Stewart 1.6... you can feel these Acme's fo sho... but when I used the Mackies, you could FEEL it. :D

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I have had very good experiences with the diminuative EV sba760 powered sub. Very nice indeed.

4. lsdn

lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    for the loudest gigs I add an old Montarbo 118A active sub (18"; 600W) to my Markbass rig (P500 head & 3x10 cabinet).

It's sounds simply fantastic, especially when I turn the Boss octaver on...

5. If you want industrial levels of low frequencies, then a powered sub is the most cost-effective way to do it since you get speaker/amp/crossover in the one matched package.

6. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I haven't used one since the early 70's, with the Acoustic. :D

7. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    My Most powerful bass amp is a 600watt class H amp mounted on a pair of 15" sheffields in a band pass box.

in my Blazer (suv). I love pulling up to one of these guys, at a redlight with the cars shaking from bass, and Pull my Ibanez out of the back set and let her rip..........
    Blows them away.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Keep in mind that most subs, powered or not, are designed for PA use and such are intended to augment smaller PA tops that don't go below 100 Hz or so to begin with. The extension given by these subs may well be no better than what your bass cabinets are already capable of, especially if you have 12s or 15s.