HAs anybody tried Porting their cell phone # to another company?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Jan 2, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am in the midst of this, and it's not as automatic as it seems. Company #1 has said they would "start the process" but company #2 has "not seen the request" 72 hours later.

I need to keep my number for business, but I also need better service from my wireless.

Anybody else experiencing this crap?
  2. Ummmm...
    I don't know how that works in the US, but here in Hong Kong all you need to do is go to the new service provider you want to use, tell them you want to switch to their company, pick a plan, and you have yourself your new sim card in a day or two.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've done that 3 times. And Company #2 is stalling, and I am getting annoyed.
  4. I did this recently. It took about 4 business days to happen.
    During the time i had use of my old cell phone from company#1 (had been w/ them for 4 yrs) company #2 did everything except it takes awhile. They have to cancel your account w/ Co#1, then transfer the ph# to company #2. My phone went dead the morning of the 4th day (i could still use my voice mail from company#1) then by late that afternoon my cell phone started working again, but i had a new voicemail.
    Give it time, i was told by my new cell phone company that many of these transctions are occuring glitch free but its taking time
  5. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Porting takes time. I know about it from working with landlines, but my understanding is the cellphone side probably takes at least as long. Also, with the holidays, both providers have probably been on a skeleton staff the last couple of weeks. That may be the reason itself.