Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anybody tried the AMPEG BA-210SP digital effects combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Knukklhead, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Knukklhead

Knukklhead

Dec 28, 2000
    220 Watts, 15 digital effects, 2/10's tweeter.........If anybody has tried one, pros and cons would be greatly appreciated. One of the Bass mags gave it 4 stars all the way around. Thanks, Scott

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I spent about 30 minutes with one last week. I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of built-in effects, they usually are a compromise. This Ampeg is no exception.

The amp seems to be a 210 version of the BA-115, which is a small combo I recommend highly. The 210SP has more wattage. I spent a bit of time in the manual, trying to figure out why it sounded like it did. There's a single volume control and the effects have a gain control, too. Standard 5 position tone switch, CD inputs, XLR out...the BA package. The effects settings are listed on the back of the amp.

The basic sound of the amp was pretty good. The effects were about what you'd expect with built-ins...not very flexible, some of the synth patches really had a hard time dealing with a percussive attack, some notes would be double the volume of others, as if it hit a resonant frequency and went nuts. The combo is 76 lbs.

It was over $600. If you don't have access to used gear and really want built-in effects I guess this is one of the choices, along with the new Peavey which I haven't heard yet. The Ampeg has a great warranty. I think it would have been much better (and cheaper) if they simply made a BA-210. I've heard from several people that built-ins are the wave of the future... I'm sure that explains why Mo' Bass amps are flying off the shelves.

Bass mag reviews IMO are a good starting point, you'll get an idea of the features available and specs but the true test is to play it yourself. I still remember the raves about the Roland DB-500 :rolleyes:

I bought a lightly used Eden D210XLT and a 300+ W amp for under $600. I'd do that again before I'd spend this much on this combo. Without looking too hard anyone should be able to find the same cab I have for ~$400 and find a decent head for a couple of hundred bucks. Then buy some pedals;)

http://www.ampeg.com/

3. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW,I have not tried this one.Like Brad im a big fan of the BA-115 and also dont care for built in effects.Wave of the future?I certainly hope not.Good luck!