Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anybody tried the Fender TBP-1 preamp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by afroman, Dec 27, 2004.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    PLease I wan tot ge t a real life review of somebody here that has heard it or tried it. I'm very interested in it. The BP review was very good and it seems to have lots of features which interest me the most. It has 2 tubes and is based on the classis Fender Showman passive circuitry.
    It goes for around $600.
    I'm also thinking of Alembic F1-X or Demeter VTBP 201, but this Fender seems to be very alike with the Alembic but with more features.

Any info is welcome.
    Thanks.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I hunted it for a while and gave up.

I went with a 100% tube head with channel switching instead :bassist:

I'd still like to give one a go.

3. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    but why, aren't they on sale by now?????

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    still hadn't seen one in person or talked to anyone that had when I gave up my search in Sept/Oct.

Killer lookin pre, I wanted a full blown tube head though, I finally gave in to the urge :cool:

5. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Somebody has to have tried one, please HELP!!!!!!!!!!

6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I'm curious as to where the "Showman" reference came from, as none of the things I've seen have made reference to the Showman design as being the basis for the TBP-1. However, it is well known that the Alembic F-1X and Trace Elliot V-Type preamps are both essentially the Showman design, so if the TBP-1 is also based on the same Showman schematic, I doubt I'll bother buying one, as I already have a V-Type head and preamp.

That said, it looks like Fender may be learning a thing or two from SWR--but again, I won't be replacing my 'Stella with a TBP-1, either...

Then again, that "room balance" control might be nice to have, and I'm not completely averse to putting a *fourth* preamp in my rack!

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I couldn't control myself and i ordered one yesterday, I'll let you know when I get it.

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I have a bassman 400 for home practice/small gigs, and I've never found the room balance useful at all. Just seems to suck out highs.

Troll

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :bassist: I'll be watching for the review!

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    If you don't mind my asking, where did you order it and for how much?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the amp...

11. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    :crying: :mad:
    I called the online store to see why i still hadn't received the Fendet TBP-1 and they told me that it is on back-order and will take 6-8 weeks !!!!! to get there.
    I cancelled the order and called about 7 other stores and nobody has it. I'm stupidly already selling my BBE Bmax on Ebay cause I thought I'd have the Fender by now. Dumb move.

I'm gonna buy an Alembic F1-X probably and see what I do when the Fender comes around.

Peace....