1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anybody used a wammy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Are they really just stupid on bass, or could they serve a purpose? I was thinking about dropping a Hipshot bridge into my MIM P-bass. I'm really getting into microtonal music (the P-bass is already fretless) and wondering if this type of setup was practical on bass...

2. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I have a Kahler bridge on my main bass, it's cool to have about 10 minutes a year and that's it. I'm no Les Claypool though so maybe I'm just not reaching the potential it can offer.

3. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    I clicked on this thinking you were talking about a whammy pedal. I didn't like it so I sold it to a friend who played guitar.

I see now that you are talking about a whammy bar setup. That opens up a huge can of worms. You would have to do massive routing to install one. Usually guitars that have one have the entire back of the instrument routed out for the springs to go into. It might be cool for about 5 seconds when you push the bar down so it makes a subsonic rumble, but my opinion is that it is totally useless for bass.

If you are able to get your hands on Primus's Frizzle Fry album, there's some cool whammy bar stuff on the intro to John the Fisherman.

4. Jeroen91

Jeroen91

Mar 1, 2010
    I would like to see a project of that ! With lots of pics :hyper:

But I think you would get tired of it pretty soon.

5. Way back a million years ago in 1985 or '86, I had Kahler installed on my Aria II Pro. It was a lot of fun and I recall eventually being able to so some tasteful stuff with it. It also stayed in tune for a lot longer and through much more use than you'd think.

If you have the money and a bass that you're willing to take a risk with, but also one that you'll want to use live, then I say give it a shot and have fun. It's not like you'll be on your deathbed someday expressing soul wrenching, mournful regret that a few decades previous you'd installed a tremolo on your bass.

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have one at home but I can't bring myself to install it on any bass I like and don't want to install it on a bass I don't

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    there's a whole forum devoted to bass whammys called: http://basstremfanatics.forumotion.net

and yes hipshot takes a LOT more wood out of the bass front and rear, not even worth it compared to the minimal hole for a kahler as shown in this pic when I took mine off to change it from an old black 2410 to a gold 7410....
    cpic001x-6.
    P1010367.

as far as "practical uses"?? depends on what your using it for BEYOND the stupid divebombs that everyone seems to cherish...Do I use mine for more than a playtoy?? nope, but on those CREATIVE moments, it does work fine stays 100% in tune and on my model it did not need countersunk to match up with the neck.

8. Oh man. That Charvel is sick looking. Sounds like I'm sold.

EDIT: I'm not really wanting to do divebombs so much as microtonal stuff. Think Black Flag's Process of Weeding Out EP on bass.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Briefly in the 80's I played around with a friends that had one on it. Was useful for some distorted more guitar like stuff. Though I was allready familiar with useing floating bridges pretty well on guitars.

10. You can do subtle with them. Especially on the harmonics. The Kahler is stable as a rock, too (eats strings though).

Gratuitous pics of mine:

TSB-400-03. TSB-400-06.

11. Oh man. Any soundclips by chance?

12. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I've never used one, but check this out...

2:00 minute mark for some whammy action.