1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anybody used Reverb to sell gear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paddydaddyo, Mar 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I have been watching a bunch of stuff, and have tried listing a few things ... but it seems that gear just sits there. I like the concept of the site as an option to eBay, but not really impressed with the "reach" thus far.

Anybody have any experiences to share?

troy mcclure likes this.
  2. kbakerde

kbakerde

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes, but my experience has been meh personally. I've listed a few amp heads and a guitar there. The bass sold (ironically to a TB'er I had previously done business with), nothing else has. However, my M2000 amp I did get and accept an offer, but when I went to test it the amp wasn't right, so I had to take it to a tech for a new Mosfet board. I also "sold" a GK 400RB-IV but the payment was flagged as potential fraud. Reverb cancelled the sale, refunded the account and suspended the buyer. That ended up selling here on TB a week or so ago.

covermego and paddydaddyo like this.
  3. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    I found and bought some rare Gibson G3 bass parts for sale on Reverb. Seller was in Canada and the sale went fine. It's another resource IMO.

spaz21387 and paddydaddyo like this.
  4. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    I sold two basses (Carvin LB75 and EBMM 25th Anniversary) on there last year. Both sat in TB classifieds for several months with no serious or substantial offers. They sold on Reverb at or very near my asking price within a few weeks. So my experience has been positive thus far. I would sell on Reverb again without hesitation.

FilCo, obimark, Mike_1978 and 3 others like this.
  5. D_Bag

D_Bag

Feb 8, 2013
    Lawrence, KS
    I sold an MXR BFD on there.

paddydaddyo likes this.
  6. Well, thanks for the quick replays, it's all good intel. I have a vintage Ibanez bass, and some parts & pieces up there now. The bass has been there for a couple months, and I dropped the price already to my "i'd rather keep it than sell it for any lower" level. I guess I'll just wait to see what happens ...

7. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    I had a shop on there for my custom guitar builds since they started up, I do ok. They are getting better known now, and traffic has improved quite a bit since then, so it's just another good place to buy/sell. Light years ahead of Craigslist for sure, even for local sales. Worth it IMHO.

paddydaddyo likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I've tried quite a few times with the same results...plenty of visits to the page, no real results, even after lowering the price until the bargain was unbeatable.

paddydaddyo likes this.
  9. That's about where I am at this morning ... but I'll give it a little longer based on all the input. That '82 RS824 I have listed has a TON of views and watchers ... but not a single inquiry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jd56hawk likes this.
  10. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    I have seen some stuff just sit there, for weeks or months even, it really will depend on what your selling, where you're located, and shipping costs. I always incorporate shipping into my price, that way there's no "supposedly" hidden cost to the buyer. Also, rep has a lot to do with that site, always keep up with whom you sold to, with follow up emails and such, it really matters there. Plus pics, not cell phone pics, but as good as you can get them pics, it also matters. The more effort you put into your listing, the better.

hintz and paddydaddyo like this.
  11. I put my G&L up for sale on there for a while, but when I got almost no hits at what I considered a good price, I took it down.
    I use Chicago Music Exchange though, which is affiliated with Reverb.

dragon2knight likes this.
  12. dragon2knight

dragon2knight

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    Good shop, that. I've gotten lots of good stuff from them(they even have nice t-shirts,lol).

13. I bought one of Reverb's 20 foot cables, before I learned to make my own, and I have 3 of their tuners.
    They have the cheapest tuner I know of & free shipping.
    Oh, I also got one of their red seat belt straps, but they since stopped selling them.

dragon2knight likes this.
  14. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I've only purchased on there with great results

15. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    I sold a pedal there last week. It was pretty easy. I'd do it again.

Never bought from them but it seems like it wouldn't be a hassle. Guess it really depends on who you buy from though.

16. I've bought and sold pedals and guitars on there. My Canadian friend has been selling a lot of guitars on there lately. They take only a 3.5% cut as opposed to ebays 10 or 11% so you should keep that in mind too. It can make a HUGE difference as a seller.

I think reverb.com is the next big thing once it gets more publicity. It's aimed exclusively at music and nothing else. It's kind of a craigslist/ebay hybrid with buyer/seller insurances. I really like it.

Before you list something, search it and see if there are any similar listings so you know what to expect and where you should be pricing accordingly, and that 3.5% vs 11%

17. WOW! So, I just got an offer on the Fender Dirnt body I posted there this morning! It wasn't one of you guys, was it? LOL

spaz21387 likes this.
  18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I posted a rare-ish pedal on Reverb, and it sold in an hour (to a famous bass player with an insect inspired name).

Would use Reverb again.

ceerod and RichSnyder like this.
  19. You sold a pedal to Tick Smith?!? Cool!

20. sheltjo6

sheltjo6 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2012
    California
    Haven't used Reverb yet to sell anything. I've sold a few items on TB, but I have better results selling items using eBay.
    Maybe because eBay has a larger audience.