1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anybody used Yorkville before?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RichC123, May 30, 2007.

1. RichC123

RichC123

Jan 16, 2006
  2. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Yorkville's combos get raved about, and for what I hear that head is also good. However, for the money I think you can do much better.

3. RichC123

RichC123

Jan 16, 2006
    What would you suggest?

4. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Yorkville. They're awesome.

5. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    welcome Rich you know how I feel about yorkville's

:hyper:

6. i dunno about doing better with your money, i bought the 800 watt head and 8x8 cab for $1300 total, and i got them both new, from musiciansbuy.com---i got great great deals on both, and i have been very well pleased with them. i can get a great hi fi sound, and a warm fat tube tone, push the tube more and you get some controlled grit, but push it farther and you can get high gain and into some funky fuzz territory. the cab is amazing, it has a lot of punch and great lows for the small speakers. all in all i got a great deal and i am satisfied :)

7. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I live in the Dallas, TX area and don't know anyone here that uses Yorkville. Thats not to say they don't make good stuff...just that I never see it here...

8. I have the Yorkie 800 head, and giged with it regularly for almost a year...

Absolutely the best amp for the $$$ imo..

Just recently had a "scare" where the head fell out of the back of the SUV we were in at a show. It landed hard enough to break the cover of the SKB case it is housed in, yet the amp still works perfectly. Throw in great tone (with the tube pre on), a great warranty, and plenty of power... the 800 rocks my socks.

ymmv

9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    As a Canadian who used to work in DFW, you likely don't see many there just because they're Canadian. :)

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I wish there was more Yorkville/Traynor here, especially for PA. They've got happenin' prices, generally solid and better products for bass, and some exceptional stuff going on in club and large-venue PA.

11. rob4001va

rob4001va

Apr 1, 2007
    Northern VA
    Hey there...another satisfied Yorkie user. I have a XS400H head bought blind (er, deaf?) based largely upon the recommendation of my cabinet builder (Dr. Bass LLC). I got mine for a little over $500 shipped. It's made in No America (Canada) - not offshore like most everything else, has a great 2 year warranty, is conervatively power rated (i.e., bench testing shows higher than spec rating), and best of all, has a great sound with lots of versatility. I'd been playing an old (80's vintage) solid state GK400RB, which was a nice quality head, but one session with the Yorkie was like night and day for both my Ricks and my Gibson G3. From what I found it was by far the best bang for the buck. I confess i didn't look/try everything out there, and there are good alternatives (Ampeg, etc), but I was very pleased for the price...and still am more than 6 mos later.

If it sounds good to you, go for it...it won't disappoint.

12. Ive used the 800 watt head, was pretty good.

13. RichC123

RichC123

Jan 16, 2006
    Hey Butler, what's up? Cool to see you around. We'll have to get together sometime and have some "Root Beer".

Thanks for everybody else's input.

Any others?

Thanks

14. I use that head. I like it better than the Eden WT800. Lots and lots of features, solid sturdy and reliable gear. Never used the matching cab, BUT there's a guy on here from Toronto with a prototype yorkville cab that's the 2x15 to match it. If you live in Canada I'd definately get it, I've been thinking about doing so, but money is tight.

15. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

I also play through the XS400 and I couldn't have said it better myself...

16. Used to use an XS 400 and had the older version of it before that. Very high quality stuff. Not one breakdown ever and I pushed the heck out of it. Very nice recorded tone from the xlr out in line position with the tube drive up a bit. Nice "tubey" tone. I think I got big name GAS or something because I sold it to one of my students and bought something else that I was never really as happy with. Tried some other stuff recently and I'm honestly thinking of going back to the Yorkie.

17. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

I agree with greenboy about their PA stuff. They have some pretty cool ideas.

I have not used Traynor/Yorkville bass amps ever although I have tried them out. They never did it for me. Where I live, 25years ago they seemed to have the reputation of being low end, budget products. It seems Traynor/Yorkville bass amps are appreciated here on TB and have a pretty solid reputation. Having said that I would not trade my GK stuff for Yorkie stuff in a million years.

18. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I use the xc115 cab wih my Acoustic 370 head. No complaints here.

19. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The XS800H was my main head until my Thunderfunk, I loved it. It has a lot of options, a lot of power, and a lot of warranty. Mine's for sale in the classifieds if you want to take the plunge, you won't find a better deal on that head!

20. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    yah man I need to get back to lax and do some bar hopping with you maybe dance on some bars with mullet wigs !!

anyway I dig yorkville stuff I have a Full Elite Pa Rig and it is great !!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021