Has anybody with a high end non Fender bass ever been discriminated against?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonohmic, Mar 18, 2018.

1. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Of course many stories of people with squiers getting told to bring a Fender.

But has anybody with a mike lull, a Moollon, a suhr, a sadowsky etc been told the same thing through ignorance?

Genuinely interested!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I showed up to a recording session once with an Alembic spoiler once only to be told come back when I have a "P" bass...:eek:

3. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I doubt that any Fender inspired bass like the ones you mentioned would raise an eyebrow in the studio at all.

10cc, soulman969, IamGroot and 3 others like this.
  4. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    Never heard anyone suggest I bring any particular kind of bass. I have heard someone suggest I bring a 5 string because he tuned down on his guitar. I laughed, the drummer laughed, we fired the guitar player. It was fun.

ppiluk, vilshofen, nFinnyD and 65 others like this.
  5. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I would have said "How about you come back when you know one da&$ed thing about bass guitars."
    If anybody short of the Bruce Dickens ever told me what gear to use, I'd show him what gear he could use.

6. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    to be fair that's the sound the producer wanted on a country track...so i went over to a friend's house...he loaned me a "P" and I recorded he track...after the producer left the engineer and I re-recorded the track using the Alembic...the engineer then stacked the two tracks

wintremute, hintz, BooDoggie and 14 others like this.
  7. I have never worked with people who were stupid and unprofessional enough to do that. Never ever.

8. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I once played a theatre show with a semi-hollow (guitar, not bass) that would go out of tune every time someone opened the loading doors behind the stage, because of the inrush of cold air.

I was asked by the musical director not to bring that instrument back the next night. Which, really, fair point.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Got comments when I bought my first 5 string in 1991.
    What's that, don't you have a Fender bass ? etc...

Wisebass likes this.
  10. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Yeah, I once showed up at a race track with a Ferrari Testarossa and they told me to come back when I had a Camaro....

11. Snakeman1066

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    lol...whatever...

12. It just amazes me that anyone would care what kind of bass I was playing, as long as it didn’t stick out like a sore thumb ether visually or aurally.

Unless I was a hired gun with a national artist or working a high dollar recording session, I would probably laugh at the moron saying something.

13. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    (assuming this is what you meant of course)...;)

Well played sir!

More Cowbell - Wikipedia

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I wouldn't be surprised if bringing one of those got a "well maybe one day you can get a real Fender" comment. Heck, I know at least one TBer heard that about their Sadowsky.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    People here like to poopoo the very idea, but I, for one, absolutely agree that there are certain live shows and recordings that work better with certain instruments.

I'm not talking about brand, specifically. But, yes, there are times when a Fender style tone works better on a recording. So a passive P bass tone. And there are times when that tone would be out of place.

Also, live, there are times when a pointy bass would look out of place. There are times (traditional country for instance) when even an Alembic or a single cut Fodera coffee table bass would look out of place. I don't give a crap if it is a fine instrument more than capable of "doing the job". Does it "look right" on that stage? That is every bit as important as how it sounds. Your audience didn't come to hear the perfect tone of an Alembic or Fodera. But they did come expecting to SEE a show put on a certain way. So, in that case, a Sadoswky, Lull or other "FSO" (Fender shaped object)... even, dare I say it, a Fender..... would "look right" compared to a less traditional style bass. It just is what it is.

I think it is the height of naivite' to stomp one's feet and wag a finger and presume otherwise.

I show up with the right tool for the job. I don't try to force my round tools into square holes and defy anyone to say a word about it. There are plenty of fights without looking for them. Why go looking for one?

If I ran an Americana/Bluegrass band and someone showed up with a $10,000 custom shop pointy hot pink guitar with naked lady stickers on it I would ask him/her to come back when he/she can bring the right tools for THIS job. I don't care if a master craftsman installed a "traditional switch" that made it sound identical to a 1949 /martin acoustic.

Looks count on stage. PERIOD. That's why you don't show up to a classic rock gig wearing cargo shorts and a Hawaiian camouflage shirt and a ball cap and bleach white New Balance sneakers. You are the wrong "tool" for the job at that point. You're a tool alright. Just the wrong one for the job.

ppiluk, DaDo625, wintremute and 36 others like this.
  16. Take away Dad's Fender when you put him in the rest home. ;)

phishaholik, Ellery, kobass and 2 others like this.
  17. Laurie Bass, HolmeBass, PillO and 2 others like this.
  18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    That reminds me of the time I turned up at the Iditarod in my Camaro and they told me to come back when I had a dog sled. The nerve!

+6dB Dan, Ellery, Novarocker and 9 others like this.
  19. InhumanResource

InhumanResource Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Bucks County, PA
    Couldn't agree more. Refusing to use the right tool for the job goes into the category of "I refuse to play this popular song that I'm being paid to play because I am tired of it".

asands, Guitalia, Duder and 5 others like this.
  20. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Crazy, isn't it?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022