Has anyone actually ever liked factory strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Zirc, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Has anyone ever been satisfied with the strings that come on a bass when you buy it? All the basses I have bought, the strings that were on there were terrible. However, I just slap a set of Slinkies (50-105) on there and I get the perfect sound.

I don't think basses should come with strings.

It kind of reminds me of the cars I buy lol. Get a stock car, slap a turbo, intercooler, intake, exhaust, boost controller, rods, pistons, NOS system, clutch, and it's a decent car. Run 12s on the strip at about 14 psi. Oh yeah, and it'll be a daily driver too still getting 25 mpg.
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You have a very short attention span dont you? I like the strings that came on my Fender Jazz Deluxe V. If basses didnt come with strings it would be kinda hard to test 'em out.
  3. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    I want a NOS for my Dano-Bass. Bitchin'!

As for stock strings, I've personally never been bothered by them. The only strings that completly dissed me was DR, like, years ago. They died after a couple days. I'm sure I just got a bad set, too. Happens...
  4. Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    you know, Ernie Ball musicmans come with slinkies on em from the factory ;)

but uh, thats the perfect sound to YOU.... most people consider ernie ball strings to be just ok... fender basses come with fender strings which are fine.... MANY basses come with GHS strings which are fine.... its called personal preference
  5. I've never liked them, and I usually don't like the strings on basses when I'm trying them out, just because they're new, and I like strings broken in. I have a friend who has kept the same strings on his Cirrus for a long time because he didn't want the sound to change, which is cool with me.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I like Fender strings fine. MIM's come with 7250's which are decent nickel roundwounds, and MIA's come with 8250's, which are round-core nickel roundwounds with a tapered E and B. The MIM fretlesses come with 9050 flats, which are pretty good as well. I don't know what the 'artist' basses and so on come with, but I like the Fender nickel strings quite a bit.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I liked the stock strings that were on my MTD K5...
  8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The last few Fenders Ive bought came with barbed wire for strings-very rough on the fingers, imo. I changed them right away to a set of Slowounds.

Turbo and nitrous, and it only runs 12's?

Not that 12's is slow, but Id think with two power adders it would be faster.
  9. It depends which factory they're coming from. ;)

For example: I just bought a MM Stingray which comes from the factory with slinkys. They sound pretty good to me, and when you register the bass they send you another set. I had never tried Ernie Ball strings before because they always seemed to be one of the less expensive stings in the store, and I figured; cheap strings, cheap tone. They actually sound pretty good, with a nice top end to them, and they have a stiff feel to them for light gauge strings. Also, that bland, pink package turns me off, but, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

Hey, you live and learn.

On the other hand, when I got my Jack Casady brand new from MF, the factory strings that came on it were THE ABSOLUTE WORST strings I have ever heard, or played. They sounded very tinny, and, after playing them for about 10 minutes, my fingertips were black from some kind of coating or whatever was on them. I had never experienced this before or since. Anyone know what brand they might be? Anyway, they got changed right away.

Mike J.
  10. New Warwicks come from the factory loaded with Warwick Black Label's and they're great strings.
  11. I liked the strings that came with my Am Dlx P. I've only tried a couple different sets (DRs and Slinkys) but the ones I've liked best were the stock Fenders. I'll keep trying out others though, just to see if the others sound any better.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like the strings that came on my Lakland. I also like the strings that came on my FMT (8250's).
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I loved the strings that came on my Ibanez SR400. Not sure what they were though. They had a blue winding on the top of them.
  14. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Does anyone know what strings come on a Fender Jazz bass?
  15. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Wild Bill- I believe Fender 7250's come on MIM's, and 8250's on MIA's.
  16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I hear Fodera's come with pretty good factory strings......

17. My MIM Fender Jazz came with some good strings they sounded and felt alot like the strings I Use (Ernie Ball Hybrids)
  18. Well the Spectors that I got both came with good strings on them - I'm guessing that they are Spector strings!! Anyone confirm that theory for me???
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the ones with the purple windings?

my guess would be that they are indeed spector strings (it would only make sense).

i wouldn't touch that set of strings with a ten foot pole. unfortunately, i touched that very set with at least six of my fingers...if only until i changed them with ghs (which i grew to dislike very quickly after using dr strings).
  20. I like the 2 tone strings they have on Ibanez BTBs.