Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone actually seen an Ampeg Portabass PB-250 or PB-800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Oct 20, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The concept of these is intriguing, but I sure haven't heard much about them. Are they out yet?

The idea of the PB-800 is particularly interesting...

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I saw a 250. Some guy was playing an alembic 6 through it and the matching 1x10. Sounded good at low volume, but I dunno if it would do in a band... and the head doesn't look that durable.

3. No, but I know a guy who's cousin shot one in the leg last week.

4. beleive it or not, this guy that plays in a local cover abd uses one to power a ampeg 8x10 ........:D

sounds ok at low volume, but not enough headroom

Gary

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Heav,
    When I was seriously looking at these a few weeks ago, all they had was the little head, the 1X10, 1X12, and 2X10. When I talked to the guys at Ampeg, they said that the 2X12 was supposed to be out in October, and I assume that any other additions to the line should be out this month too. I was EXTREMELY impressed with the head and the cabs. I don't think that you can beat the stuff if you're looking for the classic Ampeg tone (fat and meaty late '60's-early '70's vibe) that you can literally pick up with one hand and toss in the back seat of the car. The portabass series would be great for practicing, acoustic shows, and small gigs, especially where you can mike the cab and go through the house system, etc.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I emailed Ampeg this morning to ask about availability of the PB-800. Their reply was "maybe in the Spring". I think I'll wait until they're out before I decide on a small head.