1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone added an On/Off switch to their NS Design CR EUB or Omni bass?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bodollar, Dec 19, 2018.

1. bodollar

bodollar Supporting Member

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    It would be nice to leave the cable plugged in all the time, plus save the batteries.

Thanks.

2. My K&M Dual Pro ST pre-amp is the same way, when the output plug is plugged into the jack, the battery life is ticking away... I use a splitter cable and have found a convenient spot to store the plug near the socket when not in use, but I would love to be able to just leave it plugged in all the time and turn the power off at a switch instead. I just hope plugging and unplugging it so often doesn't wear the socket out eventually.

3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Wonder if a circuit breaker style cable would do the trick?

bodollar likes this.
  4. bodollar

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Give the man a cigar! Excellent idea, I'll check it out. Thanks.

coyoteboy likes this.
  5. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    As I understand it, plugging in the cable completes the circuit in the bass (battery to ground)and will drain the battery whether you have a circuit breaker cable or not.I have two active basses and I use those cables and always unplug when I'm not playing.The same thing applies to many preamps and other devices.Lots of info about this online.

dhergert and bodollar like this.
  6. bodollar

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Makes sense, once you plug in a jack the batteries are draining.
    Thanks.

7. Depends on the jack at the instrument. If it is mechanically sensing then you need to change the internal electronics. But if ground from the battery is connected to ground to the electronics by shortening sleeve to ring by using a mono plug then you can use a stereo plug and put a switch from sleeve to ring to switch it on.

Easy to check out by using a stereo cable. If nothing gets out at the other end then the probability is high that you can make such a cable. If it still works with a mono cable, then you need to install the switch connected to the internal electronics of the instrument.

bodollar likes this.
  8. bodollar

May 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Thanks for the reply. I had tried to remove the jack, there is not enough slack wire to pull it out. The wiring goes under the bridge and connects to the board. It's a CR Omni and they pack a lot into a small space.

I'll keep looking around something may pop up.