Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone anyone gigged the ampeg PB800 yet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sethlow3, Feb 17, 2006.

1. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I got to play one at corner music and it was awesome, but I was curious if anyone else had positive or negative gig reviews on this puppy.

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I saw (and heard) a bassist playing one for the daily band at the Saratoga Race Course last summer. In conjunction with a PB 2X12 cab it sounded great.

3. I had one when they first came out and I was doing a gig that required an electric and an ABG. Having the two channels allowed me to EQ each bass individually.

It's a loud amp but after a couple of months the honeymoon was over. When cranked up I just never got that feeling of bottom end power. Something akin to being lean and but not mean. Soundman hated the DI on the unit and the live sound just didn't have what I wanted to hear.

It is a very clean amp, sterile? analytical?
    Not saying it is dead flat but that was what it sounded like, not flat in the EQ sense but just flat tone. No pizazz, no beef, dynamics were not that punchy when pushed hard either.

The available EQ was fairly light too, not very dramatic changes and I could not find the tone I wanted to achieve so...

Traded it for an Ampeg V4BH and been happy since.

4. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Are you talking about the 800? They just came out last month. I have heard of using a sansamp one for maximum tone.

I am debating on a portable 800 watt SS head like the Ampeg or an affordable pre/power rig like demeter and crest.

I am playing live more than studio lately. I am mostly into metal, soul, and latin so I need crunch as well as punchy lows. Any ideas?

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Yes, check out a Thunderfunk. I have the TF-420 (now the old version LOL!) and it has balls, is punchy, and can do that Ampeg tone we all love. It can also get warm and clean.
    Nice and light and it has ended my amp quest.

6. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
  7. Played out once with it, the bar had a cab and all I had to do was throw the head on...

Sounded good, unsure of what cab it was.

I usually bring combos since we only get only one set most of the time. :bawl:

8. If it's the Porta Bass 800, they've been out for quite a while. I very much dislike that head... underpowered (it only puts out its full wattage into 2ohms), very sterile sounding, lacks any sort of low end punch compared to other amps of its wattage.

If you are talking about a different head... ignore the above!