Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone blown up a Bergantino?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LizzyD, Nov 26, 2004.

1. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Just curious... I know they will eat a bunch of power for breakfast, but how much is too much? Anybody push a Bergie beyond its limit?

I suppose clipping an amp would do it, no matter the watts.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I've done outdoor rock gigs with no PA support:
    SR5 BEADG 5 string bass -> Dem 201S -> QSC PLX1602 (1600W) -> Berg HT322 = no problems + no drama (just good sound).

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Haven't blown any of mine up. I just make sure to bring enough speakers to the gig. My HT310 gets pretty darn loud, but for an outdoor gig with no PA I'd supplement it with another cab (HT210 or HT115).

4. Benavente

Benavente

Aug 14, 2002
    Oregon
    It happened to me. Still not exactly sure what happened that fatefull evening, but it was devastating. In the middle of our set, BOOM, no more bass player in the mix. I was running a Crest LT2000 to a HT322 & HT212 and I lost everything (yes, even the tweets). My electronics tech inspected the carnage and informed me that he has worked on stuff that has faired better being hit with lightning. Sounds to me like my amp failed causing a chain reaction. My cabs were completley Chernobled. I pulled the voice coils and it looks like someone had BBQ'd some steaks on em'. Anyone with any ideas as to what may of happened, feel free to let me know your opinion... I don't blame any of the gear for what happened as I play in a Hardcoreband and drive my stuff pretty hard. I've since recovered.....

5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I have friends that have blown their cabs. But they tend to run too few speakers in too big a room with no PA support. You can't do a big gig with just a 2x10. B Easy

Myron

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    :( :rollno: :eek: :crying: :bawl: BUMMER!!!

7. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Wow, talk about a show stopper. That's awful! Sorry to hear that. :crying:

I'm not really knowledgable enough to speculate much, but I would think the amp would have just shut down before something like that happened. Sheesh.

Sudden power surge, maybe?

8. Sounds like a classic case of an output device in the power amp shorting and dumping the full DC rail voltage into the speakers. About 100VDC for that amp based on its specs....

9. I've run my SVT on 10 into my NV-610 with no problems.... What a great overdrive tone, but devastatingly loud! :D

10. Have you tried it on 11? ;)

11. I wish:D..... If it went to 11 I would have tried it.... :p

12. I recently played a gig with my HT/EX 112s and Demeter/PLX 1602 in bridge mono (1600w@4ohms).

We had PA support and I had the gain on the power amp down somewhat, but as the night wore on we got a bit loud and I clearly heard the cabs starting to sound different in a harsh, unpleasant way on low notes on my Sad 5. I cut back a bit and the sound cleared up and they are as sweet as ever.

2 facts learned:

They definitely warn you when they reach their limits (if you are listening).

1600w and a strong low B string are enough to overdrive them.

Aloha,

Jonathan