1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has anyone built a power amp from scratch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fender4, Mar 23, 2002.

1. fender4

fender4

Mar 22, 2002
    USA
    I am new to the board and was wondering if anyone has built an amp from parts (power supply, transistors, IC's, resistors, capacitors, etc.). I have built some simple amps for hi-fi home audio, and they sound great. I am thinking about adapting the circuit for use with bass.

If you have, could you give a general description of it? Mine are based on the LM3875 monolithic IC from National Semiconductor. Thanks!

-f4

2. You should send a PM to Joris.He is like tech guru
    deluxe!I think the guy makes most(if not all) of his own gear.He`s really handy at that sort of thing.
    :)

3. Yup, I have built power amps.

- My first project was a 40 watts one based on a TDA2030. Took weeks. Didn't work.
    - Then I bought a Velleman K4010 kit. Mosfet, 155 class A watts. Took a week or so to build. Still use it for practise (you can see a picture of it on my website under "small rig")
    - Did a stereo guitar amp of 2x70 watts with 2 TDA7294s. Really neat chips. Sold the amp built into a 4x10 cabinet. The power amp section took (I think) a week.
    - Then I bought a second hand Yamaha P1600. I like it so much that I will NEVER EVER build a power amp again.

So in other words: buy a second hand power amp. It'll cost you about the same as home-built, and you'll be up and running within the minute, never worrying if it'll keep going.

4. fender4

fender4

Mar 22, 2002
    USA
    Thanks for the input, Joris! Great website. I agree that second hand is the way to go for power amps--I use a Sunn SPL7350 (700w @ 8ohms) that I picked up a few years ago for cheap. I am really happy with the results of my hifi amps, so I was just thinking about trying to adapt this same circuit to bass. I might bridge two of them (that should put me a little over 100w @ 8ohms) just for kicks.

I like the T-lines you made for your hifi. I am thinking about building some Voigt pipes for a single driver, full-range project. Question: Is anyone using a T-line for a bass cab? Just curious. The size would probably be prohibitive.

f4

5. Hey F4,

I think a transmission line is of no use to a bass player as they are sensitive to placement. They interact with the room too much. And you're right, the size of a high-power TL would probably get out of hand. I remember a Visaton design for a TL subwoofer, with a 15" and a 12" in a double TL config. The cabinet was I think 2.15 meters high and the base was like 45x45 cm.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Euphonic Audio uses a Transmission line design in all of their bass cabinets. My favorite is the 10" cab, which can handle 350 watts at 8 ohms. It is a tiny cab, which uses a coaxial speaker. The cab is rated down to around 40hz I think, complements of the transmition line design.

7. : rant on :

Somehow, I think I won't like the EA cabinets. It's just too good to be true. I take those specs with 12 onces of salt.

The homebrew cabinets I use, would go down to 15 Hz if I'd measure them the same way. I spec them at 30 Hz, the point at which the free-space frequency graph starts to drop. In real life, they produce significant output below 20 Hz.

I'm not trying to brag (or am I?) but that's what I call low end.

: rant off :

:D