1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone buy two of the same amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Has anyone bought two of the exact same amp with the intention of using one for the main gigging and and one for a backup? Is this a good investment or a waste of money??

Just want to hear some opinions..

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I have 2 Walter Woods Ultras for both backup and an investment.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have been tempted, but I usually use an older head or power amp/pre as my backup. I never go to a gig without a second "head" in my car.

It has paid off a couple of times. Once it was the guitarist who needed it!

IMHO, a good thing to have as a backup is a head that is stand alone, can be used to drive someone else's cab/speakers, and even can power a medium-sized PA, assuming a discrete mixer.

Am I too much of a Boy-Scout???? :D :D :D

4. Just out of curiosity:

Those of you that have backups of some sort, how many gigs do you play a year??

5. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    I've got two of the same amp.....actually several times over. When I was playing 250+ gigs a year, I always had a backup of the same rig set up behind my main rig. I had it set up so that if something went wrong with my main rig I could footswitch over to the backup and not stop playing.

Having a back-up rig identical to your main rig can be expensive......but if you take care of your stuff, it could also turn into a good investment should you decide to sell....depending on what gear it is.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    90-120, depending on the year.

7. Cool.. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being excessive for the amount of gigs I'm doing..

Knock on wood, the equipment I use is doing good except for a minor warranty issue I'm going through right now. I'm just trying to justify ploping down the money for another head. Unfortunately, I can't be without a amp head for more than 2 weeks. At least, if I get a back up, I'll be able to send in my main head yearly for servicing, cleanup, etc... to make sure its in top shape. Preventative maintenance I guess..

8. I would never purchase the same amp as a back-up. While I like to own at least two amps at all times, the probability of a breakdown is pretty low. I have had problems with one company, but now avoid them like the plague (even though I like the sound of a most of their stuff).

It is a good feeling to have a second amp, just in case something goes wrong. However, I make sure it is another amp that I like... so you get the bonus of having a back-up, and also some tone variety if you are into that.

IMO and IME.

Edit: PS.. the only time I ever actually carry a second amp with me is if I am playing on the road in a city that I'm not familiar with. In town, or in cities where I know people, I feel comfortable enough at being able to find a replacement if a disaster happens, that I don't bother putting the second amp in a car. Other that a couple of GK's blowing up in the bad old days, I haven't had an amp failure on a gig in 20 years.

9. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    I used to have two GK800RB's but I finally sold one after years of not being in a band. It was a great idea. I left one set up at the studio, and had the other in a rackbag ready to go for gigs.

10. That is a nice deal there.. not really the 'back-up' idea that we are talking about. I had two Thunderfunks for a while.. one for road gigs and one stayed in town.

11. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Here's one more in the "Always be Prepared" camp

I have 2 identical heads and 2 nearly identical cabs, for backup purposes, I'm only a "weekend warrior" type and as such only play 50-75 gigs per year.

I have had to rely on my backup rig...(although I've never brought both to a gig at the same time)

I think KJung's point regarding variety is a good one, I however have found "My Tone" so duplicate rigs suit me just fine.

SM

12. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I have two rigs that I can play out with + a Nemesis N8 in my office. I do about 30 nights a year. I've had two amp break-downs in over 30 years of playing out. In both cases I didn't have my backup amp in the truck and went through the PA. I still don't take the backup out - too much work. But I do keep a backup in case one or the other gigging amp has to go to the shop.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    How is that warranty working out? Just wondering if what everyone feared is coming true.

14. ... yes indeed

*Peavey "Backstage Plus" (4) copies

*Peavey "Express 112" (2) copies

15. So far, so good. Peter Murray, Markbass, and GC has been extremely helpful to accommodate me as much as possible. My amp will be shipped to MA to have it looked at to see whats going on or if its operating properly. From purchase, I didn't expect there would be anyone locally authorized to work on this amp.

I'm not sure if you kept up with my "overheating" thread, but again, I'm not 100% sure there is actually a defect or not. Maybe the conditions, sun, temperature, humidity, etc. were just right to put it into heat protection mode. Admittedly, I could have been more diligent to keep it away from the heat as much as possible. BUT, I'd rather send it off just to make sure. Better safe than sorry.

But, I do not have one thing bad to say at all about all those involved in getting this issue resolved.

16. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I did follow your overheating thread. Glad to hear that it's working out for you. I got to try a MB LMKII for the first time today. I really didn't want to like it, but . . . it sounded pretty good. It did remind me of my WW M-100 a bit. Almost all the cabs I tried it with (Ampeg 410 Classic; GK goldline 410). I didn't care for the MB cabs though (115 and the 210). I did manage to get out of the store without buying it though.

I also tried the Ampeg SVT Classic head into the Classic 410 cab and it sounded a bit muddy. The MB through the same cab sounded good.

17. I find the LMII to be a bit temperamental when it comes to cab selection. Actually, I dont really think its the amp as much as the amp brings out the inconsistencies with different cabs. I've tried it with several different cabs (SWR, Eden, Ampeg, and a couple others) but spent a lot of time using it with my Aguilar GS112s. I didn't care for the sound at all, especially with upright.. Then I switch to Epi UL-110s and it was a whole different world...

18. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    My Thunderfunk 550 stays at my home church & my 420 travels on my shoulder in a Gator bag. They're almost the same amp...

Ken

19. I do approx. 120-140 gigs/yr Never carry spare amp-Never had to. BUT do carry a SA BDDI21 as a DI if ever needed! Had 2 use it once when I took wrong spkr lead & couldn't hook up my amp to cab, so wen direct instead. Oh & Once when my "GOOD NEW" set of TUBES-lasted one & 1/2 gigs- so now I use JJ's NOT EH!!!! I used the DI then too! Not bad for gigging since 1978!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    60-90 gigs a year

see my profile for details

(3x) Ampeg SVT-3PRO

And when one of them needs service (which isn't very often), I STILL have my dual amp rig (clean/dirty) available.