Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has Anyone Changed Just One TI Jazz Flat String

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gbenner, Mar 27, 2002.

1. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I have had my ti jazz flats on for over three months, they sound unreal, but the D string sounded dead compared to the others. Kevin(thomguy) at Connolly & Co. sent me a new one. Now it REALLY stands out. It sounds as bright as a roundwound compared to the others. Has anyone just changed one string, and will it blend in with the rest over ( a short) time, or should I just order a hole new set of jazz flats.:(

Thanks for any help
    George

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    In a couple of weeks or so, it should sound more like the others. They do take a while to break in, as you've noticed.

3. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Thanks Flatwound, I can only give it a week, I only have one bass. If it doesn't blend in by then I'll have to get a new set.

George

4. Thomguy

Thomguy

Oct 15, 2001
    New York, USA
    Actually, it's our clever marketing ploy. We let you fall in love with most of the set, then we replace the dead one that we put in there on pupose. Once you notice the difference you have to go out and buy another set to have balance!

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Flatwound nails it. The signal can be a tad hot out of the box, so just give it a little time and it'll settle in. For instance: When Carol kaye first installs a set of the TI flats, she uses a small peice of foam as a mute. She takes it off after a month or longer. She keeps our strings on her daily player for a long, long time. Over a year in most cases!

It should blend in with the rest nicely, gbenner. Keep us posted, though.

My best,
    Kevin

5. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Good call Thomguy, the foam helps.

George