Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Has anyone compared the carl martin to the demeter compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jivetkr, Aug 11, 2005.

1. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Ive been playing through my guitarists carl martin & I like it so Im thinking of picking up my own compressor.

Has anyone compared these 2?

2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I've owned and liked both, but I currently use the Carl Martin. They're both excellent units, and for the right application I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. However, the Demeter only does compression, with one knob for the amount of compression, and one for makeup gain. The Carl Martin, on the other hand, has knobs for threshold, the amount of compression, response (basically attack and release times), and makeup gain. In this regard, the Martin is much more versatile. For my application, the Martin was the only way to go, as I only use it for peak limiting. I personally don't like compression (at least playing live), because the group that I play with has a lot of dynamics, and I like to be able to play really softly when needed, or dig in when we step it up.

Again, they're both great pieces of equipment. If you're just looking for simple compression, the Demeter may be the way to go. However, if you're looking for a little more tweakability, the Carl Martin is probably your best bet.

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    cool...Thx for the advice.

I think Ill stay with the carl martin for now.