Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anyone completely spaced out and missed a show?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, May 17, 2004.

1. I just saw the other "has anyone completely spaced out and missed..." thread and remembered this. Years ago my band was supposed to play some artwalk or something like that fair down at the lake. The thing, from my understanding, was to go on all day (from like 9-9 or something- this was a long time ago). I figured we'd be going on around mid afternoon so I slept in (what a surprise) and called the drummer around 11:00 or so. I was a bit shocked when I found out that the drummer had left because we were supposed to go on around noon. All my stuff was still at the studio, AND I lived about an hour away. This was in the days before widespread cell phones and there was no way to get a hold of the guys. They said afterwards that it wasn't a big deal, and there was no one there yet, but I still felt horrible- to not show up to an obligation is not my typical behavior.

Anyone else?

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've been to the wrong venue for a gig before. I got my schedule mixed up and wound up being at my Saturday gig on Friday. Luckily for the the place where we were supposed to be playing was only 10 minutes away.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Miss a paycheck ?!?! .........not me, bro!!!

4. Not me. I love playing live so much that Im the geek waiting on the curb for the doors to unlock so I can load in early and hang around all evening. Hahaha! Thank God for Dayplanners, cellphones and Yahoo Calendars though, I stay so booked now that I do have to be reminded where Im playing and when...

Oh...I did however run out of here without my bass recently, my rig was already en route, but I ran off to the gig and my bass was still sitting by the door at home! Fortunately my girlfriend was going to be along shortly after and bailed me out. How embarrassing that would have been!!

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    mmmmmmmmmmmmNOPE. Never missed no lunch, neither.

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    my drummer's forgotten his cymbals for practice and for a gig once. the gig was 45 min away from where he lived, so he had to go home and get them. In the meantime, the two guitarists and I entertained the drunks with some bastardized Skynyrd tunes.

7. Freebird! <said the drunk at the back of the bar>

8. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    that was one of them. I was teaching one of the guitarists(our better guitarist, lol) the chords as we went along, so that was pretty funny. Some drunk got on the drums and started playing them with his hands which threw us off, but he bought us drinks, so that was cool.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Our drummer showed up for a gig at the wrong wedding-- on a Harley. The folks there were not too amused, they were definitely not biker types. I think he invited them all over to the other place, which was just across the street.

10. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Back a few years, I got a call from a guitar-player friend to fill in for his regular bass player for a gig the night before Thanksgiving. I showed up at this little Irish bar we used to play at and the place was packed! I loaded in my bass and little GK combo and was looking forward to a great night. As it got closer to 9:30 and still no band, I started to get worried. I talked to the owner (who I knew) and asked if he had seen Vinny.

"No, I haven't seen Vinny," Paul says in his natural Dublin accent.
    "His band is playing here tonight, right?"
    "No, no band tonight, mate...."

While I'm thinking, "So why didn't you say something when I was loading in?", I grabbed my stuff and went running back to the car. As I tossed the amp in the trunk, I remembered where the gig was. I had 15 minutes to get there for a 9:30 start. The gig was near the beach, about 30 miles away, and the joint was huge -- way to big for just my combo, but it was all I had. I called Vinny, told him I would be there a bit late and I hoped his PA would take it. We went on just before 10, to a nearly-empty house and it stayed that way all night.
    The confusion happened because he CALLED me from the Irish place, and somehow I put it togther in my mind that we were PLAYING there, too. Vinny was kinda bent, but I made the gig!!!!

We should have packed up after the first set and went back to the Irish place......

11. ragepunkrock

ragepunkrock

Jan 23, 2004
    canada
    cant say ive missed a show, but a couple weeks ago was pretty scary. it was like 5 minutes before we went on, and we went around the whole place looking for our singer and we couldnt find him, then we heard he went to go smoke up, and on stage he couldnt remember lyrics and dropped the mic...it was pretty ****ty

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's when he gets fired.

Oh, I've had similar experiences, but not in relation to gigs. I missed a two day field trip last month because I thought it was the next week. It's ok though -- it was the model UN, and I was supposedly Germany in the security council (that's what I was informed from the hosting school), but I was ACTUALLY supposed to be Saudi Arabia in the general assembly. All's well that ends well.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I almost missed one. The leader called me the day of the gig to let me know that soundcheck had been moved up.

Soundcheck?!?! :eek:

I had completely zoned on the gig. I was actually getting ready to leave home to visit family about a 100 miles away when I got the call.

Haven't done that since.