Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

has anyone completely spaced out in the middle of a song?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by fiebru1119, Apr 19, 2004.

1. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    last week at rehearsal i found my mind wandering around in the middle of this song and by the time i came to i was long gone! lol.. this actually happened to me one time on stage ugghh..

do i need to see a shrink or something? or has anyone else had this happen to them?

(the song was extremely repetitive.. playing roots and 5ths all through out.. latin style salsa-ish).. i guess i'll have to find some way to keep on track w/out making sound too busy :meh:

2. Oh, yes!! You're not alone and probably do not need a shrink, at least for this reason. I believe I've only had this happen once. Though, I guess if you make it a habit of zoning out, you may want to re-think about the shrink.

3. sometimes i forget where i am and when i figure out whats going on it feels like a whole new day. that happens alot to me im probably crazy.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    The answer is to pay attention to what the rest of the band are doing. For example, if there's a long repetitive section, what are the lyrics that cues you into the next section?

I find that I'm most likely to 'zone out' if I focus too much on aspect of the performance, like "wow! look at my fingers just doing the fretboard dance.... uh-oh! where does this song go next?". Rather than getting caught in the details, I find it better to maintain a level of general awareness and that's helped by understanding what other people in the band are doing rather than just mastering the bassline.

Wulf

5. Never happened to me personally. But i remember seeing it happen to Jimmy Bain (Ronnie James Dio's bassist at the time)

It was an outdoor concert...and he would roam off and stare at the stars in the sky, not really paying attention to what was going on, i couldnt help but laugh.
    The guy had amazing tone though! :D

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    funny topic :)

Yeah it's happened to me before. Luckily I snapped back into it and covered my terrible mistakes with some frilly riff then got back into it. Im sure everyone still noticed though :cool: :ninja:

7. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    i found my mind wandering around in the middle of this song and by the time i came to i was long gone!

Congratulations, you are now a member of a "jamband". :D ;)

8. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    It has happen to me...

It is like I start daydreaming...la, la, la and then I will miss a change or keep playing a chorus when the verse has started or miss a key change.

I try to play it off like some funky adlib solo... however, it usually doesn't work when the band is playing some slow praise and worship song.

What I hate more than anything is when the lead singer/guitar player turns around and looks at me with a stupid "sour face". :eek:

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    One gig a while back I totally spaced out during more than one song. We were playing in a sports bar that had TVs everywhere. Big, flat-screen monsters that you could not get away from. Anyway, we were playing some insipid classic rock stuff ("Can't Get Enough" and "Taking Care of Business" were the two worst) and I got caught up in a Sports Illustrated swim-wear program. I fuzzed out for most of the third set, but no one seemed to notice.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yuk, yuk, yuk -- happened to me with the Simpsons. It was impossible to ignore, esp. given the BS I was supposed to be playing. Luckily, everyone else in the band sounded even worse at the time.... :rolleyes:

11. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I was watching the Simpsons while playing a show once, but didn't throw off my playing.
    One show, I was tired all day and sat at the edge of the stage while playing part of the song and then I spaced out and my guitarist kicked me in my back when I was repeating the same riff when the song changed. I didn't remember it until I found the tape and watched it at my drummer's parent's house. It was halloween 2 years ago when I was dressed as a bald Gene Simmons. Oops, went off on a tangent.

12. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Had I been confronted with the Simpsons, I probably would have just turned my volume off and faked playing. Swim-wear is one thing, but Homer and the rest are irresistable!

:D

13. casimir

casimir

Jul 22, 2002
    Henderson, NV
    I was playing in a bar one time and out of the corner of my eye I saw the T.V. and Beverley Hills Cop had just started. I noticed the TV right as we hit a break and when we came back in I started playing Axel F. The song we had been playing just happened to be in the same key and my hands were just in the right spot but my mind wasn't. Man the guitar player was pissed because he hates when I play it even during practice.

14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, I have, it was in a pick-up gig at a bar. We were doing "Cold Shot", and I completely lost it. I don't even remember why, maybe I was watching some cute chick or something. The funny thing is, the house guitar player, who was standing at the bar (someone else was playing guitar at the time), picked up on what was happening, and started flashing hand signals at me (1-1-1-4, that kind of thing). God, that was like one of the most embarrassing moments of my entire life. I'll never ever forget that tune as long as I live. :)

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've done some sub gigs where I had to *try* to learn a bunch of material quickly. I've found myself totally lost and adrift in the middle of a song and it's always been a panic, followed by acute embarrassment type thing.

:bag:

16. bassbruckuss

bassbruckuss

Apr 19, 2004
    ok, scenerio time:

your playing electric bass in a big jazz ensemble, its the second set, and you've got about five rum and cokes under your belt. thats not including the round of tequila that the rythym section all took before the gig.
    needless to say, your ****ing hammered.

and then your worst nightmare appears. a quick latin song taken at 189 bpm. the song starts and your drunk ass is trying to be as percussive and in tune as possible. but your bars behind.

and the cold steel eyes of the instructor peirce into you.

Just one glance sobered my ass up. be careful

17. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    No chillums before practice! :D
    It improves the concentration quite astonishingly!

18. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    Mine happened recently at the beginning of a song. I'm in a cover band and we play alot of songs from that band Nickelcreeddoorsdown. So, I'm older, and I've given up trying to memorize names of songs, and who recorded them. That memory location is much better allocated to notes and changes.

When I was practicing the set list at home, prior to the gig, I practiced The Calling's "Wherever You Will Go" for the song listed as "Calling On Angels" (Train?).

So, at the gig, the band is playing the intro and I'm waiting for the spot where I come in. I must have been day-dreaming because I never noticed the discrepancy. After I realized that my spot (vocal cue) wasn't going to happen, I panicked. I had no idea what the song was that was being played!

Needless to say, the bass part started about eight bars too late. On break, the guitarist said that with my "deer in the headlights expression", he was feeling my pain.

I might just memorize those titles after all.

19. Last wednesday I was playing a gig with a house band for this talk-show kinda thing. The songwriter/bandleader writes some interesting tunes, but she tends to fall back on a couple of her favorite changes, especially in the choruses and bridges. Two of the songs we were doing were really different from each other for the most part, but each had an Eb/F/C part. We were playing song 1 and I came out of that line into song 2 and it took me a while to figure out why the others were all playing wrong! Gack! That happened to me once on cello in performance too, in a couple movements of the 1st Bach suite that have almost identical passages.

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I was once in a band, with an icelandic guitarist who is currently studying in Amsterdam. We played a lot of acid jazz, funk & jazz, and in one song I completely spaced out during the guitar solo.
    It was horrible, and I mentioned it to the keyboardist who said that nobody probably noticed.
    Afterwards, I talked to a friend of mine, who is a guitar player, and he had no idea where I spaced out.

So I found out that it doesn't matter what you play, as long as you look like you know what you're doing.