Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS TO THEIR P-BASS????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bannedwit, Jan 31, 2006.

1. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Has anyone taken a stock Fender P-Bass (one with only a P-pickup setup) and routed out the bridge to fit a JAZZ PICKUP?

Some P-Bass models have this:
    [​IMG]

I am thinking about doing this and throwing a tone circuit / onboard pre-amp to the bass and make it a lot nicer.

I already have a beat up P-Bass and I have Bassline QuarterPounders on there right now. (SPB-3 which has HIGH OUTPUT!!!)

The Tone control is nuts on it and i am not happy with the sounds... either TOO BASSY or TOO TINNY. There is a very fine spot in the middle which gives me some sort of the tone I need. I need a happy medium that is more versitile or give me more ability to work with the EQ instead of just the extremes (thus the pre-amp needed)

These are HOT pickups and for being passive, they are running at about the same levels as my active basses!

I NEED PICS, INSTRUCTIONS, IMPORTANT MEASUREMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS or COMMENTS...

I will definately go with the BASSLINES SJB-3 pickup for this mod.

also could someone tell me about some good pre-amps? for Fender.. doesn't Aguilar, Sadowski or Mike Lull make one?

Thanks guys,
    Mike

2. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    kinda, sorta. i have a fender special and i had to expand the jazz pickup slot to fit the larer dimarzios taht i put in. i used a dremel and its no factory job but not hideous, barely noticeable. i also put a seymour duncan quarter pound single coil at the neck that i had to rout a whole new slot for. with a dremel this is tedious, difficult, and exhausting, especially if your doing it in your buddy's garage in the middle of summer :cool: . in the end it looked pretty bad but it didnt matter cuz i just had a pickguard to cover it all up. i didnt take huge chunks out but without the pickguard you would laugh at it. if you dont give a **** about looks like i do then you do whatever you want. you can find measurements and picks on the seymour duncan website and if you search the forums or google you can find easy wiring instructions for passive set up, as for the rest i can really say.

3. ?????????

Before companies made P/J's, this was one of the most popular mods to a P bass. The others are a Badass Bridge and EMG's.

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah I have the mods already such as: BadAss II Bridge, graphTech nut, aftermarket pickups, etc...

Well, I know all about the wiring and stuff like that. I have done wiring mods or installations to over 20 guitars and basses so i am not worried about that.

I need to know the measurements for where the JAZZ PICKUP usually resides on one of those Fender basses that has what I am looking to do already going on.
    MEASUREMENTS:
    Distance from the edge of the body (where the strap lock goes)
    to the nearest edge of the Jazz pickup and stuff like that...

I dont think that Jazz basses are different in respect to the P-Bass one so i wouldn't mind Jazz Bass users giving me these measurements.

I have a DREMEL tool and will be using that to route the body.

keep em' coming

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    IME, you'll definitely want to get a humcancelling Jazz pickup. Otherwise, you're going to have buzz city.

6. Hi,
    You may already know this, but IMO the best way to position a pickup is to look at the ratio of the overall string length versus the distance from NUT or just the distance from the nut if both basses use the same specified string length - because the nut is one thing that is fixed in relation to the string. Using this method you will more likely end up with the pickup placed properly with relation to the vibratory nodes of the string (of course each string is a slightly different length - that is why using the saddles for reference, or the string length is slightly problematic). The sanity check is to at the same time look at the distance from the fixed parts of the bridge mounting IF both basses use the same sort of bridge. Of course the nodes move as strings are fingered but I am assuming that you want your pickup to be in the same relation to the string as on a Jazz to add that sort of sound to your bass?

That said, have you tried different tone caps and pot values (or resistors in series or even parallel with the pot) to try and give you a useful tone control range? IMO it is worth a try because it is a lot easier than cutting up your bass. It all depends what you are looking for but maybe worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Peace,
    S

7. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    ahh good call...

SO IF I COULD HAVE A MEASUREMENT FROM THE NUT OF THE NECK to the END OF THE BRIDGE POSITION Jazz Pickup then that would be great!

I can take this number and figure things out but I think that the 34" scale length is the same for P and Jazz basses...

I will try the pots, I am not sure if i received complete pots with my pickups or not. I am leaning to "yes" because my other basslines did when I bought the active ones but who knows now...

I know the pots in the Fender now have a cap going from one pin to the ground (for the volume pot) and the tone pot has one of the pins bent soldered to the ground of itself as well.

Any recommendations as to what ones (xxx k) I should get to cure my problem?

8. Best thing is to draw either a sketch of your current wiring setup or better yet a schematic. Be sure to fill in values of any pots and caps and also how the two halvess of the pbass pickup are wired. That way we can see where you are starting before you try any changes.

Making changes without making notes at each step is risky because you may not be able to figure out how to get back to a setup you decide you liked.

Come to think of it, another thing you can try is to add a series/parallel switch to your pbass pickup to get another set of tones.

Peace,
    S

9. +1....

althoughhhh.....on my cheapo Yamaha RBX-170 P/J, since I shielded the control cavity, I can run surprisingly quietly with just the stock single coil Jazz.

10. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
  11. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Nice thanks for the link...

I just took apart my electronics and re-soldered everything. For some reason, I am liking whatever I did. Before I only swapped pickups and kept the original configuration. I took everything apart and wired it to the American P-Bass Specs and it sound pretty nice. So I will save some cash and get this stuff done nicely. I took a look at the bass of mine and that badass bridge is really looking like it is making this Jazz pickup I want to install look like it will be a tight fit between the bridge and P-pickup