1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone done this?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sir juice, Feb 23, 2008.

1. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    My idea: A pickup with a seperate magnet for each pole piece like Wals, but an on-off switch for each magnet.

With an 8-pole pickup (ie. a humbucker) it would be possible to have either standard or reverse P, a humbucker on some strings but no on others, or a huge variety of possibilities.

I know 8 on-off switches would be incredibly inpracticle, but it would seem easy to say have a 5-way Strat style switch with 5 variations.

Is this available anywhere?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not impossible, just really obtrusive. It would be pretty easy to have 4 or 8 individual pickups that are just a coil and 1 magnet, and have a switching setup for them.

3. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    You can't turn off a magnet, but you could turn off the coils.

I think it wouldn't be all that useful. On the strings were you have only a single coil on, they will have less output than the two coils.

bartolini make quad coil pickups, where you can wire them as regular humbuckers or split coil humbuckers, or of course single coil, etc.

4. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    Replace magnet with "coil" each time then.

Seperate coil for each string, twice. I'm fairly certain Wal pickups are done this way, except each coil isn't wired independantly as it's own pickup.

5. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Yes, that's how Wal pickups are made, and they do run each pickup out on its own wire. They wire each humbucker pair in series, and then the four humbuckers each run to their own preamp.

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Yes, that's how Wal pickups are made, and they do run each pickup out on its own wire. They wire each humbucker pair in series, and then the four humbuckers each run to their own preamp.